• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am new to this and need a bit of advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ibiza

Registered
Greetings, i am new to the forum and i hope that i can help anyone who asks and also recieve some help.

I am currently in the process of finishing my designs and specifications for my first fully self-built PC. I need some suggestions about cooling the CPU.

I was originally planning to use the HSF that comes packaged with my processor ( P4 2.8c). I was told that this would do the job although it might be a bit louder than other aftermarket HSF's. I am not planning to overclock immediately, but i do plan to eventually overclock so i am considering purchasing a seperate HSF, one that is better. I have a few different options that i have considered:

1. Using the packaged one and replacing the fan with a Cooler Master Aero Blower or other fan.

2. Purchasing a Cooler Master Aero 7+

3. Purchasing another brand ( thermaltake maybe?) HSF.

What do you recommend that i do?

What HSF do you recommend? (im trying to economize, so best for price)

Any other advice that might help me?

Thanks, Cesar

P.S. Mobo is an Asus P4P800 Deluxe

thermalright slk-800u with a thermaltake smart fan 2...this will cost a total of around $40 but it will be well worth it. before you oc you want a quite system, just run the fan at 3500 rpm or less and you'll still get good airflow plus it's quite. you can run the fan as low as 1300rpm-20cfm of air-17db...at full throttle-4800rpm-75cfm-and noticeable noise but nothing like those 60mm screamers. I keep mine at 3500 rpm and I OC with an idle at 37c give or take 1c and full load at 41c give or take 2c...it varies on the room temp day to day.

welcome to the forums, and good luck with that 2.8c, I hope it runs well for you. a friend of mine has a [email protected] and he's loving it. Those are good little chips
o btw the aero 7+ is loud when the fan is turned up so I don't know how well it'd work for a quiet system

edit: go with the Abit IC7-G for good overclocking later on down the road, and make sure you have good airflow through the case. Typically one 80mm sucking air in at the front of the case, and one 80mm blowing air out. This will keep your motherboard cooler and the cpu, also try to use rounded cables if possible or use zipties to round the ones that come with your mobo and drive, it may seem ghetto but I dropped my case temps by 7c by keeping the clutter to a minimum this way. And any unused power connectors ziptie together and stow out of the way.

Ive looked around, and i havent found good deals on this particular model. I have seen outstanding values on the Thermaltake Volcano 11+, Volcano 9, or the P4 Spark 7+.

Also, i will be running this to a Vantec CPU monitor, what (if any) additional connectors should i buy at time of purchase?

If you're going to go with thermaltake stay away from teh V9, I had it and I saw a 10c drop in temps when I got my slk-800 for $32 from excaliberpc.com btw...thats a big difference when you want to oc...as far as additional connectors they should all be included in the kit i would think...the V11 is ok from what I've heard but not as good as it should be for what it is

Code:
                www                           www
                  www          wwwwww        www
                    www       www  www      www
                      www    www    www    www
                        www www      www www
                          www ww     ww www

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eee
                 eee
                 eee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eee
                 eee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

LLL
                 LLL
                 LLL
                 LLL
                 LLL
                 LLL
                 LLL 
                 LLL
                 LLL
                 LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 
                 LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

ccccccccc
                     ccc              ccc
                    ccc
                   ccc
                  ccc
                  ccc
                  ccc
                   ccc
                    ccc
                     ccc               ccc
                           ccccccccc

ooooooo
                      ooo          ooo
                     ooo            ooo
                    ooo              ooo
                   ooo                ooo
                   ooo                ooo
                   ooo                ooo
                    ooo              ooo
                     ooo            ooo
                      ooo          ooo
                         oooooooo

mmmmm              mmmmm
                   mmm mm            mm mmm
                   mmm  mm          mm  mmm 
                   mmm   mm        mm   mmm
                   mmm    mm      mm    mmm
                   mmm     mm    mm     mmm
                   mmm       mm mm      mmm
                   mmm        mmmm      mmm
                   mmm                  mmm
                   mmm                  mmm

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eee
                 eee
                 eee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eee
                 eee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

to the forums :)

modenaf1 that is really starting to annoy me - at least post some useful info. anybody would think your spamming.

anyway, Ibiza, you found good deals on those volcano's because,frankly, they are rubbish.

if you cant afford the slk-800 then id suggest the sk-7 instead. its half the price and still performes a good 7-8c better in most tests than the v9 does.

Thanks, also I am/was planning to Put in a Vantec Nexus multi function panel to monitor my CPU fan, and temp. I have read reviews and everyone says it works great, but thats not my concern. Do you think that its worth spending on?

The Multipanel has hardware temp probes so if you're really concerned about getting very accurate temps, then go with the Nexus and use those hardware probes. Motherboard temp sensors are not always very accurate, and I'm not sure about the P4P800. If the sensors on that board are fairly accurate, I'd just download MBM5 or SpeedFan to monitor the Fan Speeds and CPU/system temps. The Multipanel is acually much better for controlling fan speeds along with the hardware monitors, which is what I got it for. It's really up to you if it's worth getting. Oh yeah...also, check the prices over at SVC.com.

You may also want to consider the Zalman CNPS 7000 Cu. It performs just about as well, if not better than the SLK800/900 and does so at a lower noise level. I'd advise staying away from Thermaltake products. Their heatsinks do not match up to offerings by some other competitors.

Ive decided to go with the thermaltake smart fan 2. I know that theres some "smart" feature that this fan entails but since i plan to run it through a vantec nexus multi function panel. do i need to do anything special to have it function properly? waht are the downsides to running it through the contoller and what are the pros to keeping it "straight to the mobo"?

Thanks, Cesar

Back