• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone used a chest freezer instead of a minifridge.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sickofthelies

Disabled
not too long ago i saw one of these babies going for $100 at bestbuy with free shipping. I started to think how they work, and wasnt sure if they worked the same way as a fridge with a sort of evaporater that was the only part that got cold. Just wondering if they use the same cooling mechanics as a fridge, just at much lower temps.

By chest fridge do you mean like what was called in "the old days" an ice box? Sorta like a fridge but laying on its back?? I dont think anyone has used those, but just thinking of how it cools stuff I think it would use an evaporator and the other components of a refridgerator.

If anyone has used one, I'm not sure. There may be some thing with them that they need to be in a cold environment to work so hard (well, they are in a big metal box so theya re in a cold environment), or something like that because if not I would wonder why no one would have used one yet.

Seems like an interesting idea...I wonder what one would be like for a water chiller.....or is this what you would use it for?

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Back