• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WW block? Explain the hype...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

I have to ask this with all this hype going on about this block. What's the big deal about it? It looks restrictive as hell: Small slits for water to pass through seems like it is not good for something we need to move fairly smoothly.

Also I take it this block was really good back when it came out last time. Haven't waterblocks evolved to where this may not be the best block out there anymore? It seems to me like taking an old thing that worked well then and using hype to make it seem like it will work the same now. This is not meant to offend anyone but I must know why everyone thinks this will be good now compared to others.

Go to procooling forums and read up or oc aus. even. And yes the WW isn't the best anymore, check out the cascade. Cathar's blocks rock ;)

wannaoc said:
I have to ask this with all this hype going on about this block. What's the big deal about it? It looks restrictive as hell: Small slits for water to pass through seems like it is not good for something we need to move fairly smoothly.

Also I take it this block was really good back when it came out last time. Haven't waterblocks evolved to where this may not be the best block out there anymore? It seems to me like taking an old thing that worked well then and using hype to make it seem like it will work the same now. This is not meant to offend anyone but I must know why everyone thinks this will be good now compared to others.
Um, the WW will outperform ANY commercially available block by a good margin, 4-6C of a Maze 3 for example. If you want a non restrictive block, buy a swiftech. The WW will spank it all day long. The nozzle or jet in the WW boosts water velocity over the core of the CPU where all the heat is concentrated, that is it's main weapon. Call it restrictive, old whatever, the fact is there is nothing that can touch it besides the Cascade.

I dont have one but from the reading I have done people like it because it is the best performing block BillA ever reviewed. That was Cathar's hand lapped version and I have yet to see any reviews of the performance difference, if any, between Cathar's and DTeks.

As for being the best block out NOW I havent seen any waterblocks that look to perform any better than the Whitewater besides Cathar's new Cascade block but then again we one, dont have someone like BillA doing super intensive reviews ( correct me if I am wrong and there are people doing such caliber reviews ) and two, not too many new designs have come out by name brand companies.

There are probably some home built blocks that perform very close or perhaps even beat the LRWW or the newer Cascade but without these homebuilt blocks being mass produced and/or sent to reviewers we may never know.

The drawback to WW was and is that it is quite expensive to make because of the small channels in the base. Performance-wise, nothing can touch it (except Cascade). Cathar really did a lot of research to build WW such that it would remove the maximal amount of heat over a small area (the core). For larger applications, such as peltiers, Cathar says that the WW is wholly inappropriate because it simply wasn't designed for that.

As far as the costs go, I can vouch for that myself: my WW cost me nearly 100 bucks (including shipping). The larger companies would have a lot of trouble justifying that kind of cost and that's why nothing to date from mass producers has come close to touching its pure performance.

According to Cathar - and I hate to put words in his mouth here - Cascade was designed to provide the performance of WW (or nominally better) yet make a block that is more economical to mass produce. The channel design has reached its zenith. It is just too expensive/impractical to redesign it or make them any smaller.

Ah... well the Cascade is quite different from the WW, but in any case, the reason the WW is so popular is because of its performance, as many others have already pointed out.

Cathar mentioned that the Cascade outperforms the White Water by a full 2°C, so now the hype around the WW has sort of shifted to the Cascade, and justifiably so! :)

I paid $100 for my Whitewater and it is worth the price. It easily outperforms everything except the Cascade. The restrictive design is the reason it performs so well. Open designs like Swiftec do a poor job transfering heat from the block to the water.

the hype around the WhiteWater is well deserved. It beat out every tested block a year ago and its hype is still deserved today. Even with the Cascade out its still in elite class. and no other companies have even tried to put something out that touches the WhiteWater. DangerDen released the Maze4 and from what i've read it doesnt really beat out the Maze3 by anything significant. BeCooling has the SlitEdge which is pretty good. Swiftech released the MCW5000A a while back, but some ppl feel that the MCW462 is better. The only other block for sale would be #Rotors and those are behind the WhiteWater by a small margin. Not sure if Morphling1 is still selling his blocks but those are on par with the WhiteWater since they practically use the same methods. Since the WhiteWater came out none of the big names like DD, Swifty and BeCooling have anything out that even touches the WhiteWater. In some cases their blocks dont even outperform their older generation by much. So i do believe its hype is well deserved.

im not really sure about performance but i question the quality of the blocks. Brass barbs on an anodized aluminum top? The brass barbs could tear some of the anodizing because of the threads and speed up corrosion.

so i just read up on this cascade block!
looks pretty amazing if its better then whitewater. im rather interested since im going to be watercooling soon and i want quietness(~30dba per fan) so a high performing block is quite important.. do we pm cathar about buying this? or is he not selling it yet

max

yeah best to go to the website for officalsales like stuff cause PMing cathar is probly killing him . he gets more than 50 emails a day i believe ( he does have a normal job that isnt part of his water cooling super hero secret identity you know)

Back