• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS7 IDE position

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hax

Registered
I've heard that the IS7 and IC7 series have issues with the IDE connection being too low on the motherboard preventing it from connecting to the top of a normal sized case. Will I have enough room to connect a cdrom on the top of a mid-sized tower to the IDE port using standard cabling or will I need longer cables or is it not possible at all?

yes it could easily be a problem. my 18" rounded cables BARELY fit from IDE2 to my top cdrom drives in a Chieftec Midtower which measures: Dimension: 470x 205x 522mm(D x W x H) according to Chieftec's site.

this is on an IS7 btw.

I was thinking of getting the IS7, but if your 18" rounded barely fits, I'm not sure if I want to deal with that. Would the P4P800 Deluxe give me about the same performance as the IS7? (I know it doesnt have the cable problem).

Also, are there any other weird little problems like the cables for the IS7 or P4P800?

Thanks,
--hax

Hi,

My round-cable that comes with IS7 definitely can't reach the top-most 5-1/4 inch CDROM drive from IDE-1, IDE-2 is fine.

I am using Xaser III casing.

Thanks.

I read a few reviews regarding the IDE placement on the IS7/IC7. I thought: "Well, seems like a bit of an issue, but nothing too bad."

Let me tell you, I found it to be a giant pain in the a**. The layout of this board is almost criminal.

Back