• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature monitoring hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Top Hat Theater

I'm looking into buying a Digital Doc 5 to accurately monitor my CPU termperature, system temp and voltage. However, I was wondering if it's possible to also measure the temperature of the water in my watercooling system. Additionally, are they difficult to setup/install? Do they come with directions or what?

~THT

Hmmm, seeing as I don't own one, I wouldn't know whether they are hard to setup, but I would guess that it's quite easy.

Regarding the water, I think it would be possible just as long as you wrapt the ends up with some sort of tape to make it waterproof. Souldn't be too hard.

I was thinking of using a turkey temperature probe (with the long metal piece) to take the temps of a water resevoir....

Also lazerin:
You're temps are unbelieveable... why stop overclocking there?

Ffats said:
Also lazerin:
You're temps are unbelieveable... why stop overclocking there?

My tv tuner card doesn't like high fsb's so I'm running my cpu at 13 multiplier. I don't see a point in going higher in cpu speed since the only other thing I would want to increase is my fsb. Maybe when I get a new motherboard, with independent fsb's then I'll overclock higher.

I have a DigiDoc and I think it is excellent, although I don't really use the alarms or fan controllers anymore.

I do use 6 of the 8 temp readouts though, and my water temp is one of the things I monitor.
In my case it is easier than most: I use copper tubing so I have a temp probe mounted to the outside of my Air Trap's t-fitting and insulated a bit so air does not mess with the reading as much. (The trap is not in the way of most of my airflow anyway.)

In the past I have also had a probe in the water using a tee or while I experimented with reservoirs, in one of them. All I did was put some heatshrink around the lead and insulate the tip (electrically) with some silicone RTV.

I would actually prefer something to monitor temps that was simpler and less expensive but still has 6 or more temp channels, but this is what I have.

Note: external temp probes don't really monitor core temp but having a double-check using the back temp is good. On-die thermal tracking CAN be more accurate for knowing what the actual core temp is but can (as we all know) be flaky with many boards....It is nice to have both.

No, it is best not to place anything between the hsf and cpu as it may intefere with thermal transfer.

Place the probe underneath behind the core. The sensor leads are thin enough to fit though the pins.

The leads are not small enough to fit between the pins on any of my chips....

I tape it to the top of the chips surface with the end of the probe against the side of the core. A small dab of electrically non-conductive thermal compound (silicone or ceramique) also helps to get the temp a bit more accurate.
It is a bit of a pain to get that probe in: I have tried sliding it in after putting my heatsink or water block on (works but annoying) and found that I liked taping it to the chip best.

Do NOT put the probe between the heatsink and the core; the probe should be NEXT to the core. :)

Ok, well, like I said, I don't have a digidoc, but my Tt SmartFan II had a temperature probe and I thought they would be the same. The probe on mine fits under my cpu through the pins to the bottom of my cpu. However, I don't use it since I just use the rheo to manually adjust fan speed.

Back