• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASIII at Best Buy????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boostin14PSI

I read somewhere that certain thermal paste sold at best buy was just a relabeled ASIII. I need some bad and i'm going tommorrow. What should i look for?

I think they call it ARTIC silver (no "C") , it should get you comparable results, maybe 1°C worse than AS3, if it isnt that just look for something that says it has silver in it.

Why take the chance, just buy it OEM it's cheap enough as is. Plus Best Buy is pretty much always more expensive for anything unless you find a good open box deal.

Well, IIRC bb has AS2....just not sure if they got anything else other than the stuff AMD reccomends (not too bad stuff...) but hey man, its all about how desperate you are...and how much u care about your horse :D

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Due to the nature of 'hobby', most of us want the ASIII or the ceramique, but truth be told, the white junk paste is nearly (95% or better) as good.

Yeah, I bought the Antec silver thermal compound at my local Best Buy too... Comes in a pretty big blister pack for such a small tube.

thanx. I will check today. The only other place i have around me is a circuit city. So antec or artic silver should be the one.

schismspeak said:
I think they call it ARTIC silver (no "C") , it should get you comparable results, maybe 1°C worse than AS3, if it isnt that just look for something that says it has silver in it.

Don’t buy anything without the first "c" in Arctic. It’s bound to be a fake.

Also beware of compound claiming to contain silver. Most of them are manufactured in China and use silver oxide instead of silver. Performance of these silver oxide compounds is often worse than generic white thermal grease. A dead give away on some of the silver oxide goop marketed as silver compound is in the specs.

Thermal conductivity: 8.0 W/mK
Thermal Resistance:>.06 C-in/W

Notice the > in the Thermal Resistance spec? They don't even know enough about thermal compounds to qoute their bogus specs properly. More info here.

Arctic Silver 3 is also available in many retail stores under the PcToys brand name.

Colin Thompson
Arctic Silver, Inc.

And for those of you that are wondering, I went to work for Nevin last April. ;)

Thanx for the help. I got it and it looks like it is the right one. Now all i have to do is what for the burn in period to finish. How long do u think it should take on a video card?

wannaoc said:
I agree with Breeze, the ceramique is great, it's even better than the AS3. Plus it won't transfer electricity.

I agree with that since I can get very clumsy at times. I'd rather not use something the conducts electricity. I read some reviews of Ceramique and AS3 and it seems Ceramique works a little better, somewhere around a 1-2 degree difference.

i talked to the guy on this board that works for asIII and he said it was the same thing. They make the stuff!

Back