• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a decent fan for the SLK800-U

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warlord2

I need a fan that will give this heatsink the air it needs but I also need one that will be tolerable when Im not using the computer. Im going to be using a fan speed controller and I really dont care how loud it is when Im gaming but its when Im not doing anything that I need to be able to turn the fan down a good ways. I dont even know if I want a 80mm or 92mm, is there a performance difference in the two? I was looking at around 65cfm but if the 84cfm fans quiet really well with less voltage Im all for it. What do you guys think I should get. The cpu will be a AMD 2500 barton overclocked to the max if that helps any. Ambient is going to be a nice cool 60f most of the year.

Sounds like you need a good 'ol healthy Vantec Tornado.

Heres the 92mm Flavor, which will give you 20 more CFMs than the 80mm, at about the same noise level (On High).

This will be a screamer when you have it on the full 12volts, but when you get it down to 7 (even 5v on some controllers) it'll be tolerable, and still move some air. Combining this fan with a SLK series heatsink will give you the best fan/heatsink combo (when it comes to sheer performance... This is NOT incorporating the whine of a Tornado).

Just make sure your fan controller will be able to handle the Tornado. I know for a fact that Nexus fan controllers can handle the load, however you may want to ask around if you have another model.

**EDIT**
I forgot to mention that you could also look for a Delta fan.. They're also known for making high air (and noise) output in 40mm-120mm Sizes.

Lots of fans are good, especially if you have a fan controller. A Tornado would be good, but even with it set at the lowest setting, it was still too loud for me.

You could always use a Smart Fan II, they have temp sensor, plus a built in fan speed control. They're ugly and bit overpriced IMO, but a good product.

Good luck...

Lots of fans are good, especially if you have a fan controller. A Tornado would be good, but even with it set at the lowest setting, it was still too loud for me.

thats exactly what Im afraid of, I wish I could listen to a wav of one running at 12v and one running at like 5v. The controller I want to get handles 20 watts, so I think it will work fine. Can anyone record a wav for me? or show me a place that records them please.

sidewindercomputer.com has the tornado at 12V on an mp3 file. check out their listening room for it. i'd look into something from sunon thats 50-70 CFM and mid 30's to mid 40's Dba. saves your ears some and will give it enough air. with this sink the more the better so whatever you can tolerate would be enough. if it was me i'd start with something rated lower than the tornado CFM wise and if that's not bothersome than go all in for the tornado.

personally i enjoy a quiet PC that performs well. i have a total of 3 fans the loudest of which is an 80mm 40CFM sunon. @ 38Dba. i'm trying to go water cooling because it's to loud for me and i'd rather just use the 1 120mm and the 92mm in my PSU to quiet it.

I have been trying sidewindercomputer but it keeps saying the file cant be found when I try and listen to a fan. Is it working for you guys? I have this old Delta 38 60mm fan and it makes a high pitch noise at 12v but at 5v its pretty pleasant. If I could get something like that but in a 80mm or 92mm it would be sweet.

man I really want to listen to some of these fans, are there any other sites that has some wavs of them??

Im looking into the 92mm tornado but just dont know how loud it is at like 5v. I mean is it quieter then like a high output 120mm, if someone could give me a comparason it would be sweet. I have high output 120mm fans and high output 92mm fans and high output 80mm fans I generic I think.

i put a 92mm panflow L1A on my slk-800 and i luv it! It is so much quieter than the whine of the sunon 80mm i previously had on it.

Personally, I went for the high-flow panaflo. It's a 92mm that moves 69CFM and is barely audible (CD-ROM is much louder to give you a comparison) The model number is 09a12V Quite a good fan in my opinion!

oh crap you are right! the 800u only goes to 80mm and you have to get the SLK-900u to be able to go to 92mm. Has anyone tryed modding it to fit 92mm? because the 900u is about $7 more.

tt smart fan 2. Loud but just use the rheostat to lower the rpm and have its quieter.

ITs what i use and i get good temps :D 36* Load infact

cool thanks for the link. I read through all the posts and it looks like the 92mm does worse then a 80mm because of the backpressure is less with the 80mm. I also saw that the 80mm tornado is a little quieter so I think I will get the 800u with a 80mm tornado. Thanks for all the help people!

Argh. I somehow lost what I was going to post. Anyway, the Tornados are loud, even at 5V. The 92mm is, anyway. The 80mm is only 1dB quieter, which probably makes it about as loud at 5V. I used to have a 92mm tornado on my SLK-800...I even had a guide to get the clips on them. However, I ended up not being about to stand the noise of it, so I got a Nexus Multipanel. It was still too loud at 5V. I switched to a Smart Fan II. It runs 75CFM/48dBA at full speed, which is quiet enough for me. The whine is as high-picthed as the 92mm Tornado, but much softer. Turning the 92mm Tornado down to 5V bring the RPM down to about 3000RPM, which translates to around 75CFM. Comparing the temps for both setups shows SFII: 46°C max load, Tornado@3000RPM: 52°C max load. Back pressure doesn't have as much to do with it as much as actual static pressure. Back pressure is a combination of too much airflow at high pressure which hits the motherboard and HS and comes back at you. I have experienced no backpressure at 75CFM.

I have the SmartFan II and I think it's great. It being able to be manually adjustable out of the box was a very nice feature IMO. I had it running full blast just for a day just to see what I could get my temps down too. It was too loud at full RPM though, so I have it running down somewhere just under 3000 and it's pretty much silent and still keeping my SLK-800 cool enough for me.

dang I already orderd the 80mm tornado and this fan speed controller. I guess I will just see how loud it is and if its too loud I will just stick it in the classifieds:p Im sure someone would buy it for $6 hehe.

just thought I would give you guys an update

got my heatsink and fan. the only think I didnt like was how there was on directions that came with it. I have probe touching the side of the cpu and temp was 37c and the air going in the heatsink is 30c measured with another probe. This was just with a stock cpu so thats only like 60 watts. I will give you guys some more readings today when I get my computer setup right

Back