• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silent Ice???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

I just recieved my new heatsink + fan this morning called a 'silent ice copper mod'. I bought it to replae the cheapo one I got with my CPU/motherboard bundle. The thing is this, my old temps were always between 55C and at worst 60C with the first cooler. This one is rated up to athlon 2800+ and has a copper botom so I assumed foolishly i would be better than the aluminium one. I now have a full load temp of 61C!:mad: and right now just from surfing and running messenger Im at 59C. The only thing I can think of other than I got ripped off is that there isnt enough pressure on the die because Im sure the old one pressed down a lot harder. Also could putting too mucjh thermal grease on do that?
it just confuses me that they could sell that to cool 2800+ when I have it on a palamino 1800 not even at stock!

BTW, this isnt the silent ice sink you normally see with the back sink, I got it off ebay and its blue so its either an older version or a cheap copy.
Any advice would be heavily appreciated.

The best hsf at that website certainly doesn't look particularly effective. Adding a copper spreader can help if it's done right. Evidently this one isn't. When upgrading it's best to stick to tried n true names. There are lots of coolers out there that are no better or worse than stock.

Fukcing ****ants money thief basard wankers. On another note, I was wondering how much difference there should be between he temp reading in the bios and the software reading in windows. In the bios at startup I ge about 35-38C and then MBM or Asus probe read load temp at 60C and idle at 57-59C. Is this normal?

Sorry about the language folks I thought the filter would get it but i misspelled some stuff. Sooooorrrryyy. :))

let it sit in the bios for a couple minutes, and see where you're temps go.

Also, you may want to edit that post.

Well you may have the wrong configuration for your motherboard in MBM5 (thats waht i dislike...u gotta hunt for the type of sensor if urs isnt auto-detected) sot he temps could be a bit dif there, but like sandman said, let it sit for a bit...usualyl will rise to an idle/subidle temp...and sandman do you know what temp u use for the nf7-s 2.0? I have one and just wondering what temp probe =\

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Back