• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duty Costs for across border shipping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raven

I live in Canada, and am interested in buying some parts from the states. For example, like googlegear. There are some good deals happening there, and i was thinking of buying from them, but then realized that ontop of having to pay in us funds and shipping, that there is duty for comming across the border right? and i dont know how much that costs.. and if it is like a few dollars for say parts for a new computer, then id still buy.. but if it costs more and comes to about equal to what i pay here, i might just decided to buy from a local shop

All i was wondering is if anyone here knows what the deal is with duty? how much you pay for a certain amount bought. for example.. how much would i pay for a computer if it cost me around $2000 US?

raven

I bought from the U.S. several times before, and from my experience, there are no duties. However, there's a hefty brokerage fee charged by UPS and FedEx. This fee is for the paperwork that they have to do to cross the border. Usually this brokerage fee is very high (so high that it's pretty much BS).

USPS/Canada Post also charges a brokerage fee, but it's only flat rate CA$5.00. The bad news is most stores will not ship via USPS (I don't know why, I never had a problem with them before).

Back