• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Picking up a board on the cheap: Abit BD7-II or Asus P4B533?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i810 Forever

Need to pick up another P4 board- since my best friend is selling off his P4 rig & extra parts, I've got a shot at either an Abit BD7-II or an Asus P4B533.

Both boards use the i845 chipset, correct?

One of the problems that plagued the BD7-IIs was that the CMOS battery was vertically mounted- making it prone to breaking easily. The first board he got came with a broken battery right out of the box (we technically could have soldered the connections back onto the board- but we should've gotten a 100% perfectly working board in the first place). He RMA'd the board and the second BD7-II had it broken off almost completely. Obviously we could've RMA'd it AGAIN, but he decided it wasn't worth the hassle, and eventually just swapped it out for the P4B533 which works perfectly.

Which ones the better overclocker? better all-around board?

Both are going to run me about $40 each, the Abit would be a little cheaper since the CMOS battery is snapped off.

Back