• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is 45 too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Genjix

what do you guys think, is 45c degrees too high for watercooling? no overclock yet, just turned on for the first time and bam, 45c degrees

p4 2.4c.

Hard to say.
Tell us about your WC setup. Ambient temperature, etc.

It does seem a bit high, but i'm not too familiar with P4 temps.

I get ~40c with my 2500. I switched from a crapp-o DD cube rad to a chevette HC and got no lower temps. Im in the process of getting a new wb. 45c is very high for wc'ing, but not bad for temps in general.

the p4 sensors are also known to be very inaccurate. in a lot of cases where temperatures are too high or seem too low its always the temperature sensor. try reseating the waterblock and the usual apply less compound.

hmm, im not sure what ambient temp is. i dont have a thermometer. Maybe ill just wait till artic silver burns in, or maybe i have a few air bubs here and there.

Ahh, the age-old which-temps-do-I-trust issue.

Having owned a couple of Asus motherboards now, I'm comfortable with this being a relative thing. I did, however get real curious about my temps when I put this new WC system together.

Besides curiosity, I thought having MBM running with ShutDownNow set for a reasonable max temp would probably be a smart thing.

So as it stands: ambient is generally 25-26C. Bios gives the CPU temp at about 30-31.5C, with the MB at a steady 28C.
MBM gives (looking at it now, with ambient at 26.3C) MB: 29C, CPU: 35C.

These are, of course, idle temps. I've run CPU Stability Test and UT2003, and the load temp usually doesn't rise over 44C.
What impresses me more, though, is that as soon as the load is off, the temps drop back down in a matter of seconds. My air system never did that.

So which is an accurate temp? The bios? MBM? Neither?
I'm trying not to care. I'm happier with these numbers than I have been with any of my air-cooled systems, and I feel that a SDN setting of 55-60C (depending on my paranoia) should protect my system.

I almost forgot: I'm breaking in the 2.66 at 3.0 right now, and have upped the core voltage a notch. A lot of people try to compare temps without taking into account the biggest factors: ambient temp, and OC voltage.

Hmmm, this board is more screwy then i thought, I oced a 2.4 to 2.8 and temps went down. lol. so should I just OC by feel test? feel the top of my waterblock and when it starts getting warm then I know?

My advice as usual: Don't give a crap about temps. Just overclock until you lose stabiliy. Check for leaks and that the waterblock is mounted securely if you are really concerned.

You could try an Inside/Outside digithermonitor. They usually only cost a couple of quid (erm... less than $10 if you're not British (c: ) this way you'll have both ambient and some sort of estimate of WB temp.

ok ill go with that stability theory. thanks for advice.

Oops, I just tried to oc to 250 FSB and raised my vcore one notch, from 1.52 default, to 1.55 , saved settings, and then I hear a BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP , BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP, take out cmos battery . anyone have any ideas?

Temps

45C is not to high a temp. I run a P4 3.0 @3.54 and when running BattleField 1942 the temps will go up to 43C-44C everytime. but they always hold there during the whole time of play. Sometimes that is 1 to 2 hours. And as soon as I go back to desktop they drop back to 33-35C. And I just have a small entry level water system.

Perhaps your cooler isn't doing as well as it could do, but as long as it is holding under the 50C mark your alright. You might check to make sure that flow is not restricted, and make sure your fan on the rad is doing its job properly.

Back