• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

arctic silver question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-N-

I have a 1700+ and I'm goin to get my slk800a soon so I wanna know how to apply as3.

I get the basic idea of putting a tiny dab on the core and use a credit card to spread it around. Then another dab on the heatsink and use a plastic bag to spread it around and throw it all away later.
Then it's all set for the cpu to get put together with the heatsink right? Since it's not adhesive or anything, do I have to let it sit there for hours? or can i just plop the cpu right into the socket and slap the heatsink on and start tripling the fsb? It says on arcticsilver.com that it takes 200 hours for it to achieve max conductivity.

sorry I'm kinda new to this stuff. :D
thanks. :)

the application of thermal compound is was, WAY over-rated.

all i have ever done is put a little in the middle of the core, and use the slanted edge of the as3 tube to smooth it out. I dont put any on the h/s and ive never suffered from it.

james.miller said:
the application of thermal compound is was, WAY over-rated.

all i have ever done is put a little in the middle of the core, and use the slanted edge of the as3 tube to smooth it out. I dont put any on the h/s and ive never suffered from it.

i just used my finger. the mistake with that, i had shiny hands for a week lol

does it matter if you touch the core with a hard edge or.. in your example.. the back of the as3 tube?

um, silver in that low of a dose isn't poison. As a matter of fact, it could be could for you. Silver + Water is a natural Anti-Bacteria/viral/fungus. They acutally sell it over the counter for just that, and if you look at the ingredients, its just silver particals and water. Now the other goop, thats in it might be poison.

The most important thing when applying the paste is the thickness. Get it too thick and lose some cooling power. It should be very thin layer.

Just follow what's on the Arctic Silver website, link on the first reply to your thread. That way you’re sure to do it right & you don’t have to worry about it being wrong.

Suggesting to do it with you finger is downright irresponsible. Contamination of the thermal compound with your body oils will only serve to lessen your performance.

Back