• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flash bios from windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Damandre

Registered
I neglected a floopy drive because I never use it. Now, can I flash it from windows or should I install a floopy drive?

EP 8RDA+

Welcome to the Forum!

Flashing from windows is NEVER recommended. If you don't have one handy, a basic internal floppy should only be $12 online or about $20 retail. I don't think USB floppies are ideal for bios flashing either.

Please also look at the vendor instructions for flashing your BIOS. Some require you to set the BIOS to default (for instance) before flashing.

I have flashed successfully from inside win2k, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Anything goes wrong....you're dead in the water

I flashed mine in windows. I got a flaoppy drive but dont ever use it and didnt care to look for a floppy. I used the MagicFlash utility from Epox's website. They have a version on the Mobo CD but I wanted to use the newest version. It is very simple and my friend's Soyo Platnium (KT400) used the magicflash also. We both did it from Windows XP with out a single problem, just make sure you arent OCed when you flash your BIOS. You can get it HERE

Don't do the windows flash. I too build my boxes without floppies, but have one handy. When I REALLY need to use one, I open the case and install the floppy drive with it on the desk/floor.

Haven't tried a flashing from a CD though. It might be an alternative.

drshivas said:
Don't do the windows flash. I too build my boxes without floppies, but have one handy. When I REALLY need to use one, I open the case and install the floppy drive with it on the desk/floor.

Haven't tried a flashing from a CD though. It might be an alternative.

Too late, everything went perfect.

Back