• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are the advantages of better NorthBridge cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boostin14PSI

I have an extra hsf lying around and i was wondering what the advantage of better north bridge cooling was. See sig for specs on system.

Maybe you could up the voltage on the northbridge (vdd voltage I think), not sure if you have that option on your board. Most likely you won't need the cooling, though. Upping the northbridge (vdd) voltage sometimes helps while overclocking.

Yeah, to get a higher FSB.. if you are not going to Vdd mod then i don't think anything more than a copper Iceberq is practicle.. I have an XP heatsink on my northbridge.. although it would be overkill at Vdd of 1.85 or below i think, and i may still have room for more Vdd.

If you decide to do a vdd mod be careful. My friend killed his motherboard while attempting a vdd mod. You really have to be very cautious (sp).

You may or may not see more improvement by cooling your GPU with that heatsink...if not, it still looks bad ***

well i have the stock cooler on there now so i guess this hsf fan i have will be worth a shot. I will not be doing any vdd modeshowever.

It could help increase your FSB, but your ram might be a bottleneck. My PC2700 would only let me get my FSB up to 194.

The NF7-S comes with a decent HSF on it and I'm assuming the NF7 comes with the same one. I wouldn't bother.
i have the rev 2 boardand the NB fan is kinda kool looking i think so when i water cool my NB i might thermal apoxy the fan to the south bridge =)

yes its way overkill but i also heatsinked all my board mosfets last night too!!!!

if you vdd mod it's mucho good because you will need it to have stability with higher fsb clocks, otherwise your good with some good goop and a decent heatsynch ;).

Back