• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.4C IS7 400 FSB not 800 FSB, runs at 1.2 HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nickle

Ok, this is straight out of the retail boxes for both the 2.4C and the IS7. I installed xp and noticed that it is running at 1.2 ghz instead of 2.4. Also, I ran sandra to find out that it's at 400 FSB (100 x 4).

I have done no overclocking (im a freakin noob, i don't know how to) and my cpu runs pretty hot for some reason (50-52 idle, 54-56 'busy'). But I have a hunch that the problem does not lie in the temperature. BTW, i'm using just the thermal pad (I'm looking into the artic silver as soon as i fix this problem first).

I'm trying to explain as much as I can so here: when I first got the mobo and everything, it gave me the "CPU is unworkable or has been changed - check SOFTMENU." But i ran it anyways by pushing f1, and it ran at 1.2 and it installed xp all fine, windows runs perfectly (it says 1.2 frequency in soft menu). Now here's the problem. I did 'optimized settings' under the bios and bam it fixes the problem, it's now at 2.4 (it's at 2.4 frequency at soft menu and it shows that processor speed on the bios load of screen). BUT, windows runs freakin unstable, it can't load up explorer.exe (it says there's a critical problem), it restarts by itself and it is a complete mess. I reset the cmos and it's back at 1.2 (with the unworkable error again), BUT it runs perfectly again.

I'm hoping that that is where the problem lies and that you hardcore folks can help me out. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I flashed the latest bios as well (13).

Sounds like your board is at "fail safe defaults", you need to enter the BIOS & first change it to "optimized defaults", save it, exit BIOS, & boot into Windows. Then check to make sure everthing is running as it should be, if so, you can then reenter the BIOS & O/C to your hearts(or CPU's;)) content.

I did 'optimized settings' under the bios and bam it fixes the problem, it's now at 2.4 (it's at 2.4 frequency at soft menu and it shows that processor speed on the bios load of screen). BUT, windows runs freakin unstable, it can't load up explorer.exe (it says there's a critical problem), it restarts by itself and it is a complete mess. I reset the cmos and it's back at 1.2 (with the unworkable error again), BUT it runs perfectly again.

Yeap.

If I was you I'd reinstall Windows with the proper BIOS settings because your HT wasn't enabled at fail safe defaults either. I have heard people having stability problems when they enabled HT AFTER installing Windows. Just a thought. Also make sure your HS is properly mounted could be heat, & the 1.4 BIOS is ready for download as well. Good luck.

welcometotheforums.JPG

Back