• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC, new Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mitor

Registered
Ah, Beantech case, P4 3GHz, MSI 875p Neo etc....

I was happy

Still waiting for my Zalman 7000, so I used the stock HS with AS3.

According to the Bios, I had 58c idle!

reseat HS

56c idle!!!!

decided to carry on, maybe bios problem.

computer keeps resetting, realised crappy Q-Tec power supply (400w dual fan) actually only had 180w 3.3v+5v just like my old 300w generic supply!

I've now ordered a 480w antec.

My question (you knew I'd get there) could the heat problems have been down to the PSU?

And My case partially blocks the area where the dual fan sits on the antec, will this be ok? or do I have to take a Hacksaw to my beloved new case?

Thanks in advance guys

It shouldn't matter too much. Your high temps were most likely caused more by the stock heatsink than anything else, atlhough switching to a new PSU was definitely a wise move. As long as the case is blocking too much airflow, there shouldn't be any problems.

Hmm, not sure, I first went with a very fine scraping of AS3...

Stock Heatsink has a inner copper core that doesn't even seem flush with the aluminium.

I'll be very glad to get my zalman in there.

As long as I can get It working I'll be happy, O/C ing can wait

thanks for suggestions, Any ideas on wether I need to cut holes to let the PSU blow air or wether it doesn't matter if it's partly blocked, there is already plenty of case fans

what do you mean to let psu blow air? anyway you really don't need to do anything to your psu for increased airflow.

mitor said:

And My case partially blocks the area where the dual fan sits on the antec, will this be ok? or do I have to take a Hacksaw to my beloved new case?

nah dont bother. 2 well placed shotgun shots from a couple yards away ought to do it :p

it should be fine, as for the temps you might wanna get some good airflow going in your case. try making a duct to bring in cool air right to your cpu cooler. my duct gets me down to 38°C Load with my crappy hsf.

Back