• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to Upgrade HS - Which One?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shade00

I've been using an SK-6+ for several months and it's served me well. However, I'm tired of my CPU hitting 55C under load. I've been looking at getting a new heatsink, and specifically either the AX-7, the SK-7, or maybe the SLK-700. I want the SLK-800U (or A), but it costs too much :( . Give me your thoughts on an upgrade and which one of those would perform the best. I'm planning on keeping the 80mm Zalman fan on whichever heatsink I get. Thanks!

Hmmm... The SLK700 actually performs a little worse than the SK6+, and the SK7 a bit better. However, the SK6+ is a very solid heatsink to begin with, and IMHO, the only upgrade that would be worth it over it would be an SLK800. Look here to see a comparison of all of these.

I know this may be extreme. But I am extremely happy with the SLK900u. I was previously on an AX7.

My load temps before were close to 48*C with a Panaflo L1A on the AX7, now with the SLK900u they are 42*C. That is a pretty big change IMO. The AX7 can be purchased as Case-mod.com for 15 bucks right now I believe.

edit: Forgot to mention that I was able to eliminate 2 case fans an still maintain the same temps. I have a super chip 1700 Tbred if you are wondering bout my proc. I run it at 2.0ghz.

Thanks for that link Gautam. I was searching for it but I couldn't find it.

According to that chart the SLK700 performs slightly worse, but it's using a low-noise, low-RPM TMD fan, and I use a low-noise, low-RPM 80mm fan. That SK-6+ is using a 7000 RPM Delta. I actually suspect that I'm getting performance closer to the SK-6 listed there with the Delta 38.

The SLK-800 is one of the best choices, but it's just a little too expensive right now. I might just wait and buy an SLK-900U. I need a top-notch heatsink so I can run a low-RPM fan, and the 900U is certainly the best I can get. It's only a few dollars more than the SLK-800U - can the SLK-900U use 80mm fans or will it only accept 92mms?

Turd Ferguson, what voltage are you running your chip at? Is it a DUT3C or DLT3C?

Case-Mod.com is actually where I've been looking at getting a heatsink from - their sale has kind of inspired me. The AX-7 is only 13.49! :eek:

Anyone have anymore thoughts on the subject?

the SLK-900U can accept 80 fans along with 92mm fans. (either 25 or 38 too.) If you really want a top notch slk, get the 800 or 900. I think in cyberdeals there is a really good deal on one of those, check it out:D

I checked in there... apparently Case-Mod.com (the place I've been looking at) had them on sale for $26.99 not too long ago. If I could find one for that price I'd have no problem picking one up. The price is back up to $36.99 though. :(

Will the 900U fit on an 8RDA?

awww darn that sucks, about the 8RDA you are in luck, its one of the motherboards that the 900U fits on.

Linky

That 26.99 was a misprint. The SLK800 can also accept 92mm fans- you just have to bend the clips a bit. Bear in mind that the 800 and 900 perform essentially identically- only .01 C/W difference, so if you can find the SLK800U for significantly less than the 900, it would be worth it. Right now, though, it seems that finding either for cheap is difficult.

I have the DLTC chip. RUnning at 1.5v on that OC. Week 312.

I was one of the individual who actually got the SLK900u for the 27bucks from their misprint. I bought 2 of them.

While Swiftechs are very solid heatsinks, they are generally beaten by Thermalright competitors. Look in the link in my first post in this thread, and you will see what I mean. For AMD based systems, the rather small differences in their performance can actually translate into a few hundred mhz. For Intels, though, I have heard, its not a very large consideration, though.

I would say, go to a friend's house, when he's not watching unplug some IDE cables then leave. In a day when he calls you and asks you to fix it, tell him that what he needs is a new $15 set of IDE cables. Take some regular cables you have lying around over to his house, swap them, collect your $15 and come home and order the SLK800U and a nice 92mm fan :)

LOL, the point is, the extra performance of 800 is probably worth it in your case and it will definitely take 92mm's. Heck I fit a 92 on my SK7 with no modifications to the clips!

I think I'm going to go with an SLK-800U soon and stick my Zalman 80mm fan on it. Thanks for the input guys - I'm hoping that it'll lower my temps enough so I can get even more mhz out of my chip - I know it's got a lot left to give.

Back