• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flow turbulence and other questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malph

Registered
I am now leak testing my system outside the case and all seems well after a few drips from hose clamps not being tight enough. Most of the air is now out.

My set up is like this:

Pump- rad- cpu block - t-line - pump

What I am seeing is alot of turbulence in the line from the block output to pump intake. The line looks like its only half full of water. Everywhere else the water flow looks uniform. Is this a problem?

I'm using a Chevette core, swiftech MCP300 pump, homemade spiral block, 1/2" tubing and barbs all around.

Is gurgling noise normal from a WC set-up?

Also, if someone can explain the basics of how to get a green UV color in the water. I know that a UV light and UV dye is needed, but what difference does the color of the UV light make.

Thanks in advance

On your t-line you should have atleast 6" of tubing and have it about half way full of water? If not keep adding water, wait and see if the water level goes down, if it does then you still have air in your tubing. Keep adding water until the water level stabilizes.

If you hold a flashlight to your tubes and still see bubbles, then all of the air is not out yet.

Try shaking the heater core, and waterblock, and tap the hoses until all of the air is gone, it will perform much much better.

Thanks for the reply

Since my original post, the system is now much quieter since there is still some air to get out. I flipped everything upside down again and its working.

As far as turbulence in the line coming out of the CPU block, is this an indication of the block restricting flow and is it a problem?

Thanks

Malph

Yes and no :)

Yes, the flow is going to be more turbulent coming out of the block due to the restrictions and so on.

No, it is not a problem. its pretty normal, actually.
BUT....
All the air does need to be out of the system- if you can still see air in that section of tube you may still have a problem.

Sometimes cycling the pump on and off will help, as will squeezing the tubing around the air bubble.

Flipping the system around/upside down, etc. is also a pretty good way to do it, but does not always get everything.

When all the air is out of the system you should not be able to see any turbulence in the water flow.

There will always be turbulance when the water comes out from a smaller area like a WB. However in normal conditions you shouldn't see this as there is no air to mix with the water to make it visible. Following the logic I would assume there is still air in the system. If the WCS isn't installed yet try holding the T at the top and moving the subsiquent pipes untill you see the air bubbles rise. Try this with the pump on and off

hth

Thanks for the help guys.
The air is slowly coming out and the water is now less turbulent. Sounds alot quieter too.

Next step; put it in the case and test.

Malph

Back