• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-7 Ducting mod, need suggestions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkRawk911

Ok, I just bought an slk-7 for the family computer downstairs. My plan is to upgrade and put my low voltage t-bred b 1700+ in that computer and try to undervolt it and run it at stock speeds instead of overclocked. My original plan had been to duct a quiet 120mm side intake directly to the slk-7 because I want the computer to be as quiet as possible. Now I was thinking that this might not work out well because there won't be enough air pressure from the 120mm to push air through the fins of the slk-7 and cool it well. My new plan is to place a 70mm fan directly on the slk-7 as well as running a 120mm ducted side intake towards the heatsink to deliver cool air to the 70mm heatsink fan. Now I need suggestions on a good 70mm fan to place on the heatsink. Basically I want the computer to run quietly. It never gets used for gaming, only for e-mails, internet and AutoCAD. The only problem is that we don't have airconditioning, so during the summer it can get rather hot in our house, ~70-80F sometimes. Any good suggestions from you gurus?

fan

I too have an sk-7 on my backup puter. I didnt use an actual duct for mine, I just put the 120MM fan in the window inline with the heatsink. Temps dropped about 6 degrees and thats with the 120 fan @7V,I have a sunon 50cfm 80MM fan on the h/s. Its pretty quiet, not annoying or anything as I sleep with the puter on most of the time. I dont have air either, and u think ur place is hot. On a warm day here, it gets up to 100-105 in my place, average temp is around 85 in the house though, and puter works fine.

I thought the SK-7 only accomodated 70mm fans, how do you have the 80mm attatched, zip ties or something?

nah, don't listen to what the manufacturer states can be put on! I just put an SK-7 in my new rig and used the stock clips to fit a 92mm higflow Panaflo on there with no probs. Running cool as can be and virtually silent! If you are gonna undervolt that sucker, you might not even need a duct. Right now I'm just running these panaflo's on a rheo, but I don't even really need the rheo cause they're nearly silent anyway.
I say get a 92mm fan (not one of the thicker 38mm ones though as those can be very tough to fit on) that puts out good air and is pretty quiet and try that first. If it's not quite enough cooling (which I doubt with an undervolted 1700+) then put a passive duct that goes out of the case in the side or back. You may not need that second fan.

Alright I guess I'd want to go with an 80mm then. Any Suggestions as to which one? Something fairly quiet if possible. Or what about a thermaltake smart fan II.

fan

Ya, at present I have a sunon 50cfm, its reasonable as far as noise goes. Ive just ordered a TT duct mod and a smart fanII. Friend of mine has one of the smart fans and even on full its not really that loud, about equal to the sunon, so I figure with the duct mod and the smart fan(75 cfmon full) i hope to get another 1-3° drop. I even tried a regular case fan on the sk7 when i first put my system back together and even though it was probably 22-27cfm fan and very quiet, temps only went up 4°C so from what I can figure this SK-7 is a fairly efficient H/S. Fan selection is pretty much a personal choice to the point of how much noise u want or can stand. I think the SFII is a good choice cause u can have lots of airflow and some noise or slow it down to where u like it sound wise and still have reasonable temps.
HTH
Shane:burn:

I understand that your not overclocking. Put a quiet 80mm fan(less than 30dba). I have a 1700DUTC running at 11x333 with a Barton 2500 heatsink and one 92mm case fan. It runs 37-38C but the room stays around 70-75F.

try a tmd fan...i used one til i needed more vcore and it kept my 1.65V 2310MHz at 43C idle and it kept stock temp 37C idle....use the 36.6cfm one....it'll work on the SLK700 or SK7....

Back