• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 deluxe + p4 2.4c problems... !!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dungeonhawk

Registered
I recently installed a p4 2.4c, p4p800 deluxe , 5900 ultra and a gig of pc 3200 corsair mem.
The mem runs fine at 400 mhz... all is well there.

My benchmark tests for 3dmark and pcmark are low, and I think its the CPU.

On pcmark my CPU score is only about 6000
The memory score is over 9000

In the bios the temp only registers about 39 degrees C, which is fine I understand.

When I jump the mhz of the CPU from 200 to 210 is runs fine... ANy more than 210 is basically wont boot properly...

This thing is only running at 2.5ish mhz and I see people with STOCK cooling over 3 gig..

I have plenty of system cooling, 10 case fans, PCI fan, front HD fans, fans out the rear...

Whats my problem???? please help

DH

Welcome to the forums!

You should set your memory ratio to 5:4 (320) and set your fsb to 250. That will give you DDR400 and a 3.0ghz cpu. Then you can start upping your fsb until you get it stable. Corsair recommends 2.75v for your memory. As for mem timings, CAS to RAS should be set to 3 or higher. I have my memory set to 2.5-3-3-7 with a 265 fsb for 3.1 ghz.

Corsair doesn't recommend XMS 3200 for the new 875/865 chipset boards but they'll work fine at DDR400. I had to rma my XMS 3200's and I should be getting them back next week. Hopefully, they'll be better.

-Bobby

is your agp fixed to 66?
if you are using 400 for ram setting then that means 1:1 so at 210fsb your ram will be ddr420 and if your ram can't do that at whatever timmings you have set then you will get errors.
I would pay close attention to temps and download 1007 or 8 bios and use 5:4 or even 3:2 ratio just to test the cpu so the ram doesnt get in your way. maybe use max ram voltage as well. try that and tell me how it goes

WEll i changed it to 320 for mem, and fsb to 250... first reboot it wouldnt post... Held power for 7 secs til it powered down, rebooted it and it went into windows (xp pro) as soon as i clicked my name to login it skipped sounds and rebooted, and wouldnt post again....

EDIT:

After repowering up. it held the 3.01 gig speed and is running at 34.5 degrees celcius stationary (no load)... I ordered a antec cooler and grease so that will help, but even atm that temp is not high...

EDIT 2 : Its not powering up right at all... Its not posting 1 time, then locking at the startup screen the next...
whats next????

EDIT 3 : Powered down after NON successful POST and it popped back to 2.4 and said overclocking failed...

To keep my 400 mhz for mem but scale it down a bit what numbers should i use>??>??

thanks

Last edited:
Clocked FSB down to 240 instead of 250, its running stable and cool it appears (running pcmark atm)
What does this do to my Memory mhz??? not 400 anymore????

RUnning at these settings pc mark as follows
CPU = 7091
MEM = 9001

getting better... Thats at 2.88 mhz instead of 3.01... wondering what going to 240 does for mem mhz

EDIT: I can clock the FSB up to 245 and it runs stable at 2.94 ghz... The second I go to 250 FSB it locks, or doesnt post... Yet the temps are between 32-39 degrees Celc, not a heat problem...

ANy idea where I can turn next?
thanks

Ryan

Last edited:
Did you up the mem voltage? Corsair recommeds 2.75v. Set the timings from top to bottom: 2.5-3-3-7-8 and try that. Also, lock your AGP to 66/33 instead of auto. Turn "Legacy USB" off (disabled).

-Bobby

i forgot to up the voltage on the mem, doing so now.. will that allow me to go to 250+ on the fsb? ill do the timings too

EDIT : Ok timings are set, benching now.. Voltage also set.
Still running 245 FSB, and benching.

Test scores for PC mark are as follows...

CPU 7264
MEM 9387

so the voltage upped those a BIT...

THink i can get 250+ on FSB Now????

Last edited:
The voltage will help stabilize your system and get you running at least 250 fsb. The timings will also help with a higher fsb.

-Bobby

Still cant get it to run at 250 FSB, it wont even POST... when it finally gets in it says overclocking failed... Temps are more than fine.
thanks for all your help up to now, i really appreciate it

CPU core voltage is still auto, should I be running it at auto? or up it a bit,.... i dont wanna dmg cpu hehe

Ok here is an update... I set the voltage for ram to MAX, which was only 1 step up from the 2.75, to 2.85... now i can run at 250 FSB...trying to go to 255 etc atm

EDIT : 255 Stalls out, no post.....

So perhaps I need to up CPU core voltage, since raising mem voltage allowed me to get to 250.... whats a safe raise in core volt if you think that will help????

CPU voltage won't help. You can try but anything over 1.6v is dangerous unless you like replacing cpu's every few months. I have my cpu voltage set to auto. I've tried 1.6v and it doesn't help. You might just be held back by your memory.

-Bobby

held back by memory? wow, thats a shocker, I was told this memory was very very good...

EDIT: I do want to thank you greatly for all your help.. I hadnt gotten near this far without you... muchos gracias

The memory is very good. You're just pushing it over it's intended specs, which now is a big thing since most memory companies are trying to get PC3500 and PC3700 chips on the market. So the PC3200 memory modules can't/won't overclock much more than it's rated speeds. The ones that do are being sold as PC3500/PC3700. There are fewer guys that have been getting good results with the new Corsair PC3200's when o/c'ing past DDR400.

-Bobby

ps. that's what these forums are for, isn't it? ;)

im o/c a 2.4c aswell and have questions about ram settings: what is the last # out of the string of settings: ie 2.5,3,3,7,(8)? you can set it at 4 or 8... which is better? when do you put it at 4, and when do you put it at 8?
If I wanted to make my ram settings more aggressive, which of those #s should I lower and how far?

see sig for system details.

The last setting is the DRAM burst length. I'm not exactly sure what it does but I know it didn't really do much when I tested it as far as benchmarks were concerned. I read on a forum that setting it to 8 was better than 4. I don't know why but since it didn't make much of a difference, I didn't research it further and just set it to 8. Not much of an explaination but my reasoning behind the setting.

-Bobby

Im just curious about this Bobby:
"Corsair doesn't recommend XMS 3200 for the new 875/865 chipset boards but they'll work fine at DDR400. I had to rma my XMS 3200's and I should be getting them back next week. Hopefully, they'll be better."

Did you rma them because they were defected or because of Corsairs recommendation? I´m using Twinx 3200LL and there seems to be problems with the memory when I´m OC:ing on the same hardware that dungeonhawk uses.

Another question is what timings do you use considering "Dram Idle Timer" and "Dram Refresh Rate"? I´ve noticed that some adjustments here do seem to increase stability on my system.

Best Regards!

Oh the things that run through my mind when I think of Corsair (not good either) but every time I say one thing bad about them, everyone and their mothers will jump on me and call me names so I'll pass on that. Of course no one wants to hear anything bad about corsairs :(

I rma'd them because a few of the games I play crash. Repeatedly. In the same place. After re-installs. With different timings and voltages. All at stock DDR400 speeds. But of course it's my fault... or MY motherboard... or MY cpu. It absolutely cannot be the corsairs. Heaven forbid.

I just got the replacements today and although they're running more stable, I still can't go 1 mhz over 200 (DDR400). I've played with timings and they ran at 2-3-2-5. All the benchmarks looked great and ran prime95 for a few hrs so far with no errors but when I start working on stuff, there's pauses and everything just doesn't seem to run right. I relaxed the timings to 2.5-3-2-6 and it just "feels" much better and faster. This is just after a few hours so I'll wait before I pass judgement on them.

I usually set those two to auto. I haven't even thought about playing with them as rebooting my system 50-100 times and testing each time isn't my idea of fun.

I'm definitely going to have to look for some better memory (that's right you heard me all you corsair fanboys :p).

-Bobby

Well, this is my first pair of Corsair and I will also wait with the judgement because my system just arrived and are not fully tested yet. But there seems to be some problems with the memory running at Corsairs specified latency timings and they are really not that overclockable considering OC:ing the busspeed. But mine can be clocked a bit, but not to 440 mhz that i was hoping for ;)

I have problems over 250 fsb as well as Dungeonhawk and I´m pretty sure it´s the memory *Grrr*

Didn´t know there were a fanclub for Corsair, but if there is, they may bark as much as they want :p

Last edited:
What makes you think its the memory? You think your sticks are BAD? or just that it cant handle the speeds you want???
My system runs GREAT at 3 gig, no problems at all, I would just like to push it a bit more. I figured pc3200 memory would be plenty to get at least 3.2-3.3 out of, but i guess im wrong.
SHould get my antec aeroflow cpu heatsink fan etc in the mail today or tomorrow, then ill try upping the core voltage to 1.7 or so and see if it will let me go higher.

I get read and write error on the memory during post even with high timings and the memorybus running at the lowest divider. I´m still working with the OC but this is my conclusion at the moment... I will test the memory later on to see if it is ok, but I think it is. I´ve tried with both high and low timings and higher volt which makes it more stable, but it´s still not what I was expecting from a Corsair memory. My highest fsb count is for the moment 253, and then the memory had big problems reading and writing during post.

Back