• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Atx 12v Connector neccesary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

12am

Hi, just got the gf a Ga-7n400 L1 and there is a connector for a 12v atx plug (looks like a square instead of the standard rectangle). what I'm wondering is if this is neccesary to run the board as my gf's psu doesn't have that connector. The thing is that my asus a7v333 doesn't need or have that atx 12v connection and I really don't wanna fork out more money if I don't have to.

Dont think it will be nesescarry but may help if OCing. I know my A7N8X will run OK without it but I get a few more MHz out of the CPU with it plugged in.

Hood

good to hear that I might not need to buy a new psu, however the mobo manual says the board will not boot without it :(

Well if it says that in the manual then its probably correct, easiest way to find out is give it a go.
Hood

Well that's a definate downer, wasn't hopin on shelling out another 110 bucks for her but hey you can't place a price on love right :bang head

If you are good with that sort of stuff, you might be able to wire up your own connector of the existing PSU.

As far as modding your wiring to add a 12V plug, it would depend on your 12V power supply rating (and if you trust the manufacturer's figure). A good ATX12V power supply will have a 12V rating of 17 to 20A.

Have you tried the board at all without the 12 volt connector? I was all set to but the board, but I don't have the extra cash right now to buy a new PS also. I'd appreciate your responce.

well the manual stated that the board would not boot without it, so I ended up buying a new psu with the atx 12v connector on it. I'll try booting without it and post back for you.

Link1305... If you have an old power supply that does not have the 12V connector, then the chances are good that the power supply itself will not be capable of providing the amount of 12V that is needed for today's systems.

Thanks for your responces guys. I have an older Antec 400 watt so thats the problem. After thinking about it, I decided to get a Fortran 530 watt....I heard it's pretty good ;) I'll probably get this mobo also. The only other thing I don't like is the lack of mounting holes around the CPU....I don't know why they do that.

Power up the mobo with the old psu

Well once i tried a new msi mobo with a old psu and it worked and yes to remind that mobo need an 12v connecter but without it it worked perfectley. So it seems like sme mobos are really depend on it and some not. Anyway it is a something to be remeber of. Thanks for all your guys comments, i just learn something new out of it. As hood mention mabye it'll be useful to give power to it whenever u do the overclocking cause it'll drain more power to do that.

Just wondering if its the dual power board that requires the extra power, possibly it would work without the 12v Aux if the daughter board was removed.
Hood

Back