• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Use Good Paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

I just replaced my 'stock' heatsink with one I bought off ebay and the temps went from 57idle- 60Cload to 58idle- 61C load. Not impressed at all. I tried ducting on a 90mm case fan and that did nothing do I thought maye Id use the old sink but with the new paste that came wih the new sink instead of the think gluey stuff you get with stock ones. i did that and put on the usual duct I use (card tube with the 80mm fan on the end away from the sink) and the temps dropped to 52C idle- 57Cload. I am so happy. The poin of the tale is that the paste makes as much difference as they say so use good stuff. Over and out :D

That's REALLY REALLY HOT :eek: . Get some better cooling on that. At least keep in the 40s but 50 is starting to push it. If you have the cash invest in water cooling. Or Vapochill if your really crazy. ;)

Get an AX-7 and some AS3 for a cheap effective cooling.

You'll get temperatures around 35°C.

if he's stable then it isn't that bad. these cpu's are rated to run at that temperature still with no damage at all, so he should be fun as long as he doesn't start going up more after prolonged use. just work on your caes a bit bro and clean it up some and maybe make a vew cheaper investments and up airflow and your temps will drop drastically for you. good luck.

That gluey stuff is actually a thermal pad, not a paste. I agree with crazyperson that having better airflow through your case would help your temps. Also, all-copper heatsinks perform better than other materials.

Cheers for the replies fellas. The temps are better now as its nightime in old blighty (Britain) is more like 50°c idle 55°c load. I did have it better but I just put my finger in another fan and pulled off two blades. Second time in 2 weeks. Yeah me, so I had to replace that with a case fan wfich is bigger but it doesnt seem to do the same job. As for case flow, the side is off the case and earlier I had a floor fan pointed at it so I don think thats the problem. i suppose its a new heatsink for me. AGAIN. If anyone wants to buy a shiny blue metal thing and a grey metal thing email me thru here Ill be happy to send them your way.

you should seriously stop believing anything you see on ebay...

if you're in the market for another cooler, consider either a full-copper or a copper/aluminum mix... all aluminum heatsinks will not give you good temps with the newer chips... they're just old technology...

if you're on a budget, look into an AX-7 ($15) or SK-6/7 ($20)

You might invest in some AS3 also. You will get a few degrees lower with AS3. Just becareful to apply a little bit. CPU don't need that much thermal compound. I heard of an instance where some guy put a bunch of thermal compound on his CPU. When you put to much then it can have the opposite effect and leave your CPU running hot.

I hear ASCeramique performs better than AS3, but i've yet to see any hard data posted.

matrixzen said:
Post it in the classifieds section. You might be able to get a few bucks for it. ;)

You'd probably get it off your hands pretty easily. People take those crappy HSes and cut them up to use them for NB or MOSFET cooling. :D

Ok. So we know his sink and paste suck.

Observation:
Athlon palamino, asus a7v133-c 1.05

<COUGH>

I have $20 saying the TC reports him atleast 10C too high.

Observation:
Athlon palamino, asus a7v133-c 1.05

<COUGH>

I have $20 saying the TC reports him atleast 10C too high.
I was wonderong about that you know. someone was saying about Asus boards giving high readouts on another forum but noone answered my cries. Waaaaaahahaha. Haha. Do these boards have a reputation for high temp readings then?

Back