• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Filtering air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MooMasster716

Im guessing like any one else, my computer gets dust and stuff inside of it so I was wondering if i place a pieace of cut out air conditioner filter inside of it wouldent that restrict airflow into my system? Cause air enters through the front(which is where im gonna put the filter) and gets out through the back.Thats it theres no oter opeanings. Sense thers only two opeanings i was gonna place a 120mm fan at the back to help get the hot air out. Though i was wondering if putting a fan directly behind the air filter in the front wouldent that help air circulation. Basicly what im asking is putting a air conditioner filter in my pc gonna restrict airflow? What do you think?

it will restrict airflow, but if you use a "air filter" not like a sock or something:D youll be fine.

It shouldn't restrict airflow that much. It's a filter made specifically for an air conditioner, which means that it is made to filter out air impurities without too much of a loss in airflow. Therefore, it should be fine.

I have used pantyhose as an air filter before and it worked pretty good. What I did was super glued a square peice to one edge of the fan. Then streached it out and kept super gluing it to each cornor and it worked pretty well.

creepy said:
I have used pantyhose ....

I have heard of many ppl using panty hose's as filters and it does not restrict airflow to much. And i dont think the airconditioner should, i would think it would filter a little better. However i suggest you try both and see what works best for you. My antec sonata has a built in little filter which is pretty slick, it slides out with ease and is just as easy to clean so i dont have to worry about panty hoses or airconditioner filtes.

Try Both, thats my recommendation, it cant hurt :rolleyes:

~Zoltan

Thanks for the feedback, my main concern was that the air conditioner actually pulls the air but the pc just passively lets it flow. I guess i witt try it though

I am using a furnace filter that I cut into pieces. Mounted on from of my case in front of fan. Keeps about 85% of dust out but cuts down air flow by about 35%. Estimates of course before flaming starts :)

Lord_Zoltan said:
anodized - To coat (a metallic surface) electrolytically with a protective or decorative oxide

that clear things up?:D

but why do you need that for a filter??? lol

what i used was the window screens you find behind a window. I cut out 2 pieces and layed them criss crossed. What would be good is(if you can) put the filter in a larger are than the fan is in. that way the large area wont restrict airflow. heres a pic of what i did.

!IMG_0710aasmall.JPG

you can see at the bottom that there is the smart fan 2 behind it. theres a really large area to suck in air so im not loosing any airflow.

Sinkhole said:
I would try one these, they are cheap enough and specificly made for the job.
http://www.xoxide.com/80alfanfil.html

Also being metal they are easily washable.

Sink
the only problem with these are that they don't cover the full area for the front intake fans. To really limit dust you must have a filter that covers the full front area of the case.

While this might drop air intake a buit it significantly reduces dust which in itsself creates heat in the long run.

I have used a couple of scotch bright scribbies used to clean pots. They are made out of the same material as aircon filters. Or use actuall aircon filters as mentioned above. This seems like the most effective dust prevention.

Gage

MooMasster716 said:
Im guessing like any one else, my computer gets dust and stuff inside of it so I was wondering if i place a pieace of cut out air conditioner filter inside of it wouldent that restrict airflow into my system? Cause air enters through the front(which is where im gonna put the filter) and gets out through the back.Thats it theres no oter opeanings. Sense thers only two opeanings i was gonna place a 120mm fan at the back to help get the hot air out. Though i was wondering if putting a fan directly behind the air filter in the front wouldent that help air circulation. Basicly what im asking is putting a air conditioner filter in my pc gonna restrict airflow? What do you think?

if you filter the front intake, ...which i assume is an 80mm,.......and also add a 120mm to the rear as exhaust, you might find that you have more exhaust, than intake. the result will be dust getting sucked into every crack and crevice around your case. places where we might not think air may flow...like through your dvd drive, and cdrw drives, and everywhere else.

i think before you start, you might want to mod a better cooling solution for your case, and take it from there. i personally would prefer more intake, and then ,filter them, so, any air that is forced through the cracks and crevices will be filtered air......if this makes sence.;)

i haven't done this yet but my plan is to have 2 front filtered intake fans and 2 rear filtered intake fans. Then i will mod my top putting a Enermax 120mm fan for top exaust.

This way you have outside air flowing over both sids, up the middle, and out the top of the case. I'm looking forward to see how this performs as soon as I get all of my parts.

Gage

i'm currently using 2 types of filters...

on my main rig, i use foam filters specifically made for fans... they're made up of 2 plastic pieces which snap together to hold the foam over the fan... and they seem to be pretty cheap (~$3-4)

on my secondary rig, i just wrapped and the fans in downy softener sheets and taped them down with electrical tape...

both methods work well, and the downy sheets make your room smell like a meadow in the spring for a while :D

but the professional fan filters are easier to clean, while you have to unstick/recut/restick the downy sheets...

Back