• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the max temp for over clock P3 I ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

helloderek

I'm new at this but I'm thinking of over clocking my PIII 1Ghz processor. I have found out that the ave overclocking speed is about 1191. Thats to say the original PIII of 7.5 X 133... has to be changed to something like 7.5 X 158.. sorry I'm not to familiar wif the right terms but I think you guys can figure it out. What I'm more cncern wif is the temp that I should be watching out for. the normal operating temp is about 33-38 degrees.. I have it a highest of 43 degrees before wen I set my Bios to 7.5 X 149. Running the INtel original fans a couple of other fans through the system. I not too familiar to cooling but just would like to know the DANGER TEMPS so I can adjust my processor. Thanks

PS does anyone know of a link which benchmarks overclocking and the danger TEMP zones? AT what TEMPS should we be concerned wif more then standard cooling? thanks

Derek

You're just fine at 43. In the event that your P3 got too hot it would just throttle down and cool itsself, so you don't need to worry about burning it up. I'd say that between 50-55 under load is about where you want to stop.

Thanks man!... So lemme see if I got it right.... if I dunnoe how much or wen to increase cooling..... just watch temp..... anything about 50 degrees is danger?.... safe to say?... at wat temp does it do damage to the P3?... btw wat do u mean wen u say throttle down?.. so it have a fail safe built in? thanks

Well, that's a pretty good overclock for that chip. I doubt you'll get any further because your FSB is pretty high as it is and I'm assuming you're using SDR so you're probably about to or already have hit a wall.

If you're not certain you know your temperatures, go download Prime95, run the Torture Test and then see how your temps are after an hour.

You're lucky that it's only a P3 so they don't exert heat like the recent chips do. Make sure you use Motherboard Monitor to monitor your temperatures or else you might get some false reading from say a program that came with your motherboard.

Also, Prime95 will test the stability of your overclock as well ;)

Yodums

welcometotheforums.JPG

I thought P3's didn't have thermal throttling, they will just lock up if they get to hot, but they'll be fine if you let them cool off.

PIII's DON'T throttle down. Fortunately, they crash long before any damage is done.
Tom's hardware even tried running one without a heatsink... The computer crashed, but the processor and everything else survived.

yeah, they don't throttle down...but they're designed to crash. Unlike that poor AMD on tom's hardware :p.
You would notice that something wasn't right long before any damage is done.

Thanks ppl!... Think that was quite a bit of help to get me to stop worrying..... now thinking of getting a spare AMD system just to see how much I can squeeze outta it...... pl sprob n excuse to get that water cooling system.. looks fun!.... dun suppose there's somewhere we can get trusted 2nd hand watercooling system?.... although I will wonder if its good y change?... hahaha

Back