• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The $0.89 Ducting Mod!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z1bluecat

Registered
Im sure people have done this up before but heres my run at it:

Cheap and Effective -

89centduct.jpg

went from 47-49 C down to 42-43 C at 100% load (F@H)
(was on a 1.2 Tbird)

I am currently working on building something more fancy but this will get the job done for sure. Let me know what you's think.

how are your fans set up? the case fan blowing in or out? hs fan blowing into hs or out? looks kinda like what dell does and it obviously works....i may have to try that....

Hmm, looks like a good idea indeed, but be careful with static electric. That kind of plastic can charge a lot of static elektrik in a short time, and it may cause dangerous discharges on your CPU, ram and northbridge and eeehh you know the rest :(

How dangerous is this mod really with static electricity?

I am definetly considering it, I will start looking for a bottle now. :)

Ok, I don't think that it will create a thunderstorm in your case, but you should keep in mind that electronic components do not like static electric, and the contact of both should be avoided like the pest. That is the theory but z1bluecat seems to do pretty OK though :)

Ok for what Ive seen it works but it can build dangerous static. Ok we need to do some google or yahoo searching and find out what houshold item we can tape out side or inside of the bottle so it evens out the energy

Ok for what Ive seen it works but it can build dangerous static. Ok we need to do some google or yahoo searching and find out what houshold item we can tape out side or inside of the bottle so it evens out the energy

can you explain a bit more bro? I'm having trouble understanding how plastic that isn't recieving any direct friction from a particular static source is building static? For example the basic idea behind a whimshurst machine (a device used to build static charge) is using metal rubbed at high speeds against a rabbit fur or other type of brush and then storing the static charge in a capacitor. maybe explain exactly how it is building the static perchance?

looks like a decent mod, and simple one too...

nice job, i love ghetto mods, as "bang for the buck" is my main game....well, usually...

i might try this mod myself. i think as long as the plastic is touching the case metal, and so on, the static shouldn't be an issue at all....if the plastic was standing alone in cardboard or something, i would think it may attract some static, but i doubt it will on this mod.;)

Hmmm. From the looks of things, it looks like there is a duct going from the CPU out the back of the case (or maybe from the back of the case air is going onto the CPU).

But how does the rest of the hot air in your case get exhausted with the normal exhaust fan covered up? Won't your case temps start to rise considerably?

Jarhead7236 said:
how are your fans set up? the case fan blowing in or out? hs fan blowing into hs or out? looks kinda like what dell does and it obviously works....i may have to try that....

maybe that's why i like it...... i have a chieftec case with the 2 front, and rears as intake, as well as the side intake, and i modded 2 120mm blowholes on top for exhaust. so, this would work fine for me, as well as the ducts that come from the side panel.

edit: i'm sitting here looking at my case, and wondering....since i have a 92mm tornado on my hs...........maybe it would be sweet to use a 3 liter bottle, and "form" it to fit over both intake rear tornado 80mm's on my case, and then ..of course....connect the side of the bottle to the cpu fan.;)

madsam said:
looks like a decent mod, and simple one too...

nice job, i love ghetto mods, as "bang for the buck" is my main game....well, usually...

i might try this mod myself. i think as long as the plastic is touching the case metal, and so on, the static shouldn't be an issue at all....if the plastic was standing alone in cardboard or something, i would think it may attract some static, but i doubt it will on this mod.;)

Ok then problem solved :p

Back