• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heater Core and other questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gbcue

Registered
Is it better to have a fan blow air in or suck the air out?
Please explain why and possibly support with articles and the such.

Also, I have a dilema with my case and the heatercore size. Is there a minimum size that I should use when selecting a HC?
I have this case (Scroll to Inside View) and in the front I have a 120mmx25mm fan blowing air in, and to slow it down, a 7 volt mod.

After the air goes into the case, it has to go through these pillars which are to put your auxilliary HD's. Between the pillars and the fan is about less than .5". Is there anyway to put the HC behind those pillar things and still have adequate cooling for the water?

I was also thinking to put the HC in between the pillars.

----------------------------------------------------------------

How can I cool my Northbridge w/o any mounting holes?

I probably want to cool my system with DangerDen stuff, Maze4 and Maze4GPU, possibly a Northbridge cooler if I can ever figure out how to mount it.

Most people use two fans on their heater cores. One pushing air through and the other one sucking it out >[]>. Crappy picture! Anyways, the push pull gets the most airflow through the rad or heater core. If you just use one then experiment which way yields better temps. It could be a push, or a pull. As for space in your case for the heater core, you could cut out the bottom part of those extra drive bay things and have plenty of room. I don't know if putting a heater core in that's small enough to fit between the pillars would be too effective, unless it was rather slim and quite tall... I'm pretty sure there is some sort of ceramic glue type stuff that works like as3 and acts as a glue as well, but I'm not sure exactly about that process.

concerning the heater core, you could always attempt to make a nice shroud leading from the fan into the core through the pillars, though it sounds completely unrealistic to me...

Past that for the north bridge you could always use thermal epoxy. Most people on the forums use Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive, but any other should work pretty well. This does mean that you wont be able to remove your $40 nb block if you are changing your motherboard though. You migh consider chopping up an older cpu heatsink and using that if you have enough airflow in your case.

Good Luck

P.S. I have never worked with epoxy's but some other people around here dilute the mixture so it is not permanent, perhaps one of them will post.

if you are putting only one fan and you are going to put it right against the heater core then it will be better to make it suck air because if you put it pushing then some of the air will bounce back out throught the gap that fans have between the fins and the body of the fan ...

this is how i have my fan ...
DSC01481_small.JPG

i tried both methods and found that sucking produced better flow

as rugbyroy said putting 2 fans is much better and will provide much better flows and if you put a shroud that gives you a small gap between the fan and the radiator not only will you get even better flow but it will be quieter

i am going to make my self a shroud and put another fan ... that picture above is just my temporary setup until i make all the mods to get my heater core inside my case

What heatercore do you have?

If I were to do this outside of my case, would an 87 chevette heatercore do?

Would I still have to have a 120mm fan in the front of my PC and and 80mm side intake and 2x80mm exhausts? Like what fans can I get rid of?

thats an 87 chevette heatercore upthere with a 120mm fan

if you're gonna leave the radiator outside you can take out some of the case fans to quiet down the computer but dont take them all out cause there are other components that need some airflow to be cooled..

Back