• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with Zalman 7000 cu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoshi007

I just bought and installed the Zalman 7000 cu. My pc is 2.4c p4, Abit IS-7 with #13 bios, Radeon 9700Pro, 1G GeIL pc3200 ram, 120G hard drive, and a DVD+RW.

I am having trouble with the cpu temperature. On the intel stock cooler, i got 45c on idle, 55 on load. When i installed the Zalman, the idle now is 40c and 50 on load. I am using the Antec Silver compound from Best Buy. (couldn't find ASIII anywhere retail)

Another thing, I have tried to reinstall the Zalman 3 times already. The first two times I got the temperatures above so I thought something is wrong, so I took it off. After I removed the heatsink, I noticed that the top left of the cpu and the heatsink wasn't in contact and the rest of the cpu is. Could this by the problem with my temperature?

I have tried to install the Zalman 7000 cu 3 times now and it improved the temperature by 5c. I thought with this baby, I can get cpu temp to the mid 30s. Please help!

Thanks

im not sure about mid 30s but do you have too much paste? try seating it ... again... are you using the intel brackets?

I think it's installed fine. Abit's boards tend to read cpu temp on the high side. They tried to fix it with a bios update but it didn't help much. Now they're just saying that it's reading the temp correctly.

-Bobby

*Repeats for nth time*: If your computer is 100% stable, then your CPU is cool enough.

Also, motherboard temp sensors should not be believed.

I installed the Zalman 7000cu according to the instructions. Oh yeah, I have 2 fans in/2 fans out in the case. My friend and I installed the heatsink 3 times and each time we cleaned off the old thermal grease and reapplied according to the instructions. I'm just wondering if 40c idlo/50c load is good stock temperature. If so, I'll overclock to 3G.

thanks guys

40°C idle for an Abit board is pretty good. Go for the o/c and see what temps you get. You should be fine.

-Bobby

The temps are fine. I know the zalman's go to silent mode, you might have it on the silent mode, which would mean temps are higher. Either way the temps are fine.

Yep. I have mine plugged directly into the motherboard running at ~2700rpm and my case fans are much louder than the hsf.

-Bobby

welcometotheforums.JPG

Don't worry about it I think ModenaF1 is getting bored :p

It's a lot better than the other welcome message he posted before where you had to scroll for a few hrs before you got to the next post. :D

-Bobby

yoshi007 said:
I'm just wondering if 40c idlo/50c load is good stock temperature. If so, I'll overclock to 3G.

thanks guys

I have an Abit IS7 with 2.4c OC'ed to 3.12ghz on retail cooling. My ambient temps are about 75F.

My idle with the ducting mod is 42C and 48C without it so if I remove my overclock i'd have about the same temps as you.

I have a Zalman sitting in my car ready to install when I get home. I"ll let you know how I make out.

Also if you go to the Abit forums you'll see a huge 200 reply thread with people *******g about the high temp readings on their socket 478 boards. Most people agree the temps are 5-12C to high.

For example at load my CPU sometimes reports 65C, but the heat sink is somewhat warm, but definetly not hot. At those temps it should burn my hand.

MY room temperature is about 75F. The case temp is about 32c. I just overclocked my system to 3G with the Zalman with ram at 5:4 ratio. Idle is now 39c and at full load it is around 56c. Also updated my IS7 bios to 14. Everything is running smooth and will finish all benchmarks and burn in stuff.

Do you guys think my temp is ok? or should I try to lower it some more.

On an another topic, whenever I play music, the system sometimes just freeze. I am using the IS7 sound codec and I have locked in the pci/agp bus speed. I don't know exactly what the problem is.

Any suggestions.

Back