• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a bad idea? My new case Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billstuck

I have a P4 2.4c OC'ed to 3.12ghz on an Abit IS7-E. My load temps were getting up to 68C!!! and 49C idle. I read this board has high temp readings, but I am still worried so I did this.

I reveresed my 120mm exhaust fan to blow in and put cloths dryer high temp ducting bending it right over the CPU.

I have a 120mm fan in the front blowing in also.

I removed 5 empty PCI slots so air could flow out since my only exhaust now is the PSU.

Well it lowered my CPU temps, but 5-6C which is awesome, but now I'm concerned the rest of my board isn't getting propery airflow and cooling, expecially the memory.

Do you think this is a good idea? I'm thinking that the air from the duct will flow over other components on the way over my video card to the PCI openings since that is the only way out beside the PSU.

Anyway I'm a rookie and this is my first OC and case Mod. Is this harmful to the rest of my board or a good idea?

Image station is a little slow today, but please let the pictures load below to see what I've done.
fbb00961.jpg

fbb00965.jpg

billstuck said:
Well it lowered my CPU temps, but 5-6C which is awesome, but now I'm concerned the rest of my board isn't getting propery airflow and cooling, expecially the memory.

Do you think this is a good idea? I'm thinking that the air from the duct will flow over other components on the way over my video card to the PCI openings since that is the only way out beside the PSU.

Anyway I'm a rookie and this is my first OC and case Mod. Is this harmful to the rest of my board or a good idea?
I would be most concerned with the NB, not the memory, unless you're pumping a whole lot of voltage to your Vdimm. See how warm things are with things running at full load - put your hand on things to see if they burn you. A good rule of thumb is that it can be hot as long as you can keep your finger on it without hurting yourself.

If you do think other system components are overheating because of the ducts, you can always add a case fan to blow at those components.

YEs it has a fan which you can actually see in the bottom of the second picture, but does it pull air or suck it? The duct actually forces air down toward the northbridge also and I don't want to work against the fan by pushing air down on it while it is tring to push it up.

With the CPU fan going I can't tell by holding my hand over it.

gogetadbl said:
I must try that. My antec 3700AMB has such bad cooling and trying a side duct.

I have the same case. With 2 120's I don't think the cooling is that bad. No different then any other standard 80 mm case

JKeefe said:

My point still applies, though - are things scorching hot or not? If not, things are probably fine.
Dude I dunno what's up. My CPU temp under load is reading 61-65C depending on what time of day and when i feel the heat sink it's warm but definetly not hot. It should be burning the skin at that temp shouldn't it?

Silly Abit IS7 board?

The reason the nb has active cooling is because the hs is so damn small.

I would drill an intake hole on the side of the case and leave the rear as an exhaust port. Then if the temps are still high, duct the side port to the hs.

I've read that the Abit boards read about 10°C hotter.

-Bobby

that is a good mod. However it would concern me not having a exaust for the rest of the case. Opening the pci slots doesn't do that much for circulation. I would put an exaust fan in the top of your case. That way you would have your front intake (at least 2 80mm fans) and the air would flow over the mobo to the top.

you would be set for cooling, unless you wanted to put a 80mm in the side (over gpu) for extra measure.

Gage

P4 2.4c OC'ed to 3.12ghz...

720mhZ on air...don't know how cool you can get that with just air
? I'm not to experienced with P4's except I know they are generally cool or seem to be.

Back