• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm stuck at 190FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randalthas

Registered
I have the NFS v1.2 and I really want to break 200FSB, but I'm stuck at 190.

VCore is 1.6V
Chipset is 1.7V
VDIMM is 2.9V
RAM timings are 15,7,7,3 (I figured the slowest timings would give faster FSB)

I set the FSB to 200. MEMTest ran last night for 13hrs and made 49 passes without errors. I don't seem to have a problem booting into Windows98. But 3DM2k1 locks up within two seconds on the first test. Usually the video just drops out.

Everything works fine at 190FSB. I've tried going to AGP4x and changing the spread spectrum settings, but to no avail.

I seem so darn close, I just don't want to get the rev2.
Any ideas?

Have you increased the AGP voltage? You seem to have narrowed the problem down to video related.

Another possibility is that your poer supply is a little weak when you add the extra load of 3D rendering.

What do your voltages look like under cpu only load? and under cpu plus graphics load?

I did change the VAGP from 1.5V to 1.6V. It didn't help so I chickened out and set it back to 1.5V. I guess I could try a little more.

I hadn't though about the power supply. It's a Fortron 400W. But it might be close to the limit. I'll take a look at that, then try some more AGP voltage.

Is it a new Fortron or an old one that you are re-using?

A power supply from just 2 or 3 years ago won't produce enough 12V for today's systems.

Well, i mustered up the courage to goose the AGP voltage to 1.8V(max). It didn't help.

What a crock, the +12V is sitting at 11.6-11.5. This is a new Fortron 400W maybe only three months old. It has a 15 Amp output on the +12V. What do you have?

Well, I get to wear the Dork Crown for awhile. I remember that thread. I read it several times (obviously not enough). I used it to make my decision in purchasing the Fortron. I swear it read differently before.:D My brother is going to have a heck of a time with his Barton. I just convinced him to get the same PSU. I can't believe I botched this.

Oh well, thanks a bunch for the heads up.:beer: I was confident in my PSU and would not have given it a second thought. Man, I'm going to be eating some crow for awhile.

Well, I'm no longer convinced that I made a poor decision on the Fortron.

I will agree that the +12V line is lower than it should be.

But, I just ran out and purchased a new Antec True Blue 480W. The +12V is rated at 22A. Remember my Fortron is only 15A. This only increased the voltage from 11.61V to 11.85V.

I said, 'Oh well', and tried the 200FSB anyway. I have the same problem. Maybe because the +12V line is still below +12V. So, I unplugged everything. I kept the Radeon9800p, CPU fan, and of course the mobo. All other drives and fans were disconnected. I booted into the BIOS and the voltage remained at 11.85V.

I lack the desire and energy to replace the 9800 with my old 9000 to see if the 9800 is sucking up all the current. It really doesn't matter, I'm not getting rid of it, and I don't think that the extra 2A from an Antec 550W will make the difference.

I'm blaming the problem on the mobo. It's only a V1.2 and 190 might be all it can do. I'm interested in a sound upgrade too, so I might EBAY my current board and get a -S V2.0

I'm returning the PSU tomorrow to get my $120 back.

Back