• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jet face to base plate ques.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WarriorII

Moderator #666
Question:

How far should the inlet jet extend into the block?

ie: How close should the tip be to the base plate?

This applies more towards the WW "Type" designs
I'd have to say.

Open chas / spiral / pin fin types it would not apply.

I'm "Guesstimating" 1/2 the opening of the nozzle,
or less.

Any info or opinions to share would be appreciated.

:cool:

Not how High the fins are, but how deep should the
water inlet be into the block?

This might help "picture" what I'm asking.

Look here plz.

5th & 6th and 7th & 8th photos.

Depth of the inlet nozzle.
TIA

You want the opening of the jet to be less than 3mm above the surface. The "optimum" height depends on your pump and the rest of the system, but 2-3 mm should be a good first guess.

If you tweak the system until you find the best height for your system, let us know what height that ends up at.

Mike,
The top of the base is smooth. The "fins" you see, are cut into
the base. "Channels" if you will.

Cal,
Yes, I have been toying w/the idea of "adjusting" the height.

I'll have to remeasure, but I think I cut the channels @2mm
w/ the nozzle 5mm above the face.

WarriorII said:
Mike,
The top of the base is smooth. The "fins" you see, are cut into
the base. "Channels" if you will.

Cal,
Yes, I have been toying w/the idea of "adjusting" the height.

I'll have to remeasure, but I think I cut the channels @2mm
w/ the nozzle 5mm above the face.

I went through this same thing with my home made jet/cup block also. Ideally anything 4mm or less and no higher than 4mm. Where you got it now, 5mm is to high. Anything less than 1mm and your flow will start to hurt. With those channels you cut you possibly could get lower. Anyways keep it no higher than 4mm and your good to go.

One suggestion though. I would even try a smaller jet size too. Say 1/4 and keep trying for lower till performance drops off. I'v got 3/16 jet size and it works great but again i'm using a cup design on my base which allows me to get a thinner base. With yours being flat with some channels you'll just have to try and see what's best. I wouldn't go no bigger than 1/4 though and no less than 3/16. It took me months with the math and alot of trial and error and a few blocks to get it right. In the end, the math and the what the CFD engineers kept telling me were right on the money. Good luck and I await your results! Cheers:)

Back