• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S Drivers and WinXP problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fin

Registered
After loading the drivers on CD for my NF7-S (Ver 2.0) system crashes upon booting to Windows. Only solution is to re-install WinXP.

Anyone else have this problem???

Actually, no. The HDD's were from my previous machine, and retained all their data. No reformatting was performed. Everything is working, but if I were to install the drivers that came with the CD, then system will crash upon entering Windows. Weird....hopefully my performance is not affected by the drivers that WinXP has installed.

Also, I installed the Window Service pack as described in the Mobo manual prior to driver install....followed everything step-by-step from the manual.

Me also... Crash crash crash... I went back to Win 98se and bought the new Gforce ultra video card and with those new drivers... Came lots of problems. Wierd colors to the icons and system slow down. Even with a completely clean fresh install of windows. Help!

I never installed the whole package of Abit drivers from the disk. I just installed XP, manually installed the nic driver, downloaded SP1 and installed, downloaded nVidia 2.03 drivers and installed. Worked all 4 times I did it.

fin said:
Actually, no. The HDD's were from my previous machine, and retained all their data. No reformatting was performed. Everything is working, but if I were to install the drivers that came with the CD, then system will crash upon entering Windows. Weird....hopefully my performance is not affected by the drivers that WinXP has installed.

Also, I installed the Window Service pack as described in the Mobo manual prior to driver install....followed everything step-by-step from the manual.

If your didn't format, that's why your system is unstable. The Nforce boards need a clean install to work properly.

e laursen said:
I never installed the whole package of Abit drivers from the disk. I just installed XP, manually installed the nic driver, downloaded SP1 and installed, downloaded nVidia 2.03 drivers and installed. Worked all 4 times I did it.

Let me expand on my statement... I did reformat when first moving the HD from my BF6 to the NF7-S. Installing the drivers right over the old OS will most likely fail. If you were running on an nForce1 board, you might be OK, but really, you should reformat to wipe the old OS before you do a fresh install. If you already had SP1 installed and did it again before the nForce drivers, that will hose you as well.

I usually keep a separate partition on my HD (or have another HD) to keep my data so I can reformat the main partition and reinstall windows cleanly without loosing everything (or burning 15 CDs of data).

Good luck... try a re-format and reinstall. It will be worth the saved frustrationBTW, my performance sucked with the xp drivers until I installed the nForce drivers...

i did it without formatting when moving my drive from my ecs k7s5a to my current abit nf7-s - so it can be done. i just reinstalled windows and kept all my files.

james.miller said:
i did it without formatting when moving my drive from my ecs k7s5a to my current abit nf7-s - so it can be done. i just reinstalled windows and kept all my files.

Cool. Glad it's working for you. Guess I tried to help when there wasn't a problem... oops.

It sounds like you had problems when just installing the drivers without re-installing windows but it works fine after reinstalling windows (and nforce drivers) over the old install, right?

Anyway, to answer your original question, no, I have never had that problem because I always reformat to be safe.

i have a huge problem and i did a clean install from a formatted drive still tryin to work it out if not done by saturday im goin back to win 2000 sp4

Back