• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK900u Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zash

I just got my SLK900u in today with the 92mm tornado. It's running on my A7N8X Rev 2 2500+ rig. I keep getting errors in windows. The CPU temp is around 30 degrees celsius idle and overclocked but Windows keeps dying. I've noticed that UT2003 crashes constantly. I can't even get a game started and when I benchmark with UT2k3 it crashes as well. I've also noticed that one of the capacitors by the CPU socket is kind of pushed a little by the slk900u. I think it's either that or the 350 Watt Power Supply. Does it sound like a lack of power from the power supply to you guys? I know that 92mm tornado pulls a lot of power but does it pull that much? Sometimes Windows will crack and give me errors like, "Explorer has encountered an error blah blah blah send or don't send" and sometimes it will just restart itself. Any help would be appreciated.

try turning everything back to default...no oc whatsoever....and see how stable it is in prime, sandra, ut2k3...and anything else that its crashing in right now....let us kno how it goes

I set my CPU back to stock speed and it's running as stable as it can be. I can't crash the thing. You guys think it's because of the Tornado pulling on the PSU too much? I used to be able to run stable at 11*200 when I was running stock cooling (with no tornado) and it was 100% rock solid. Now I'm at 11*166 with my tornado 900u. PSU?

Zash said:
I set my CPU back to stock speed and it's running as stable as it can be. I can't crash the thing. You guys think it's because of the Tornado pulling on the PSU too much? I used to be able to run stable at 11*200 when I was running stock cooling (with no tornado) and it was 100% rock solid. Now I'm at 11*166 with my tornado 900u. PSU?

Hey i dunno if thats your HSF thats your problem, i think you need to boost your vcore like mentioned. IM stable at 11*166 but hell im not at 11*200, so i went back to 11*166 , my friend (experiecnced ocer) said to up my vcore and i should be ok but i havent tried it.

What baffles me is with the Stock Heatsink and Fan I could run at 11*200 with the Vcore at the exact same place as it is now (1.65). Does that mean that I need to up the vcore now or I need a better PSU?

XJ said:
i cant see from your sig, but what psu you running at the moment?
I meant to post this in my last post,
It's an antec 350 Watt PSU. It's the one that comes with the Antec Lanboy.

It sounds like the Tornado may be using up too much power. Stock AMD fans don't take that much power to run. I would suggest a Fortron/Sparkle PSU from newegg.com for you. Maybe somewhere around 450-480W. I would try pushing up the VCore a bit first, though, to see if that does anything.

A Tornado doesn't take that much more power than a normal fan. Try putting the fan from your previous heatsink on the SLK-900. If you can get 200x11, the +12 line on the PSU is probably overloaded. If not, I don't know what the problem is, but it isn't the PSU.

what's your 12V read when stock and OC'd ?
EDIT: could'nt you disconnect power from an optical drive to relieve strain on the 12V line and see if that allows stability (to more-than-compensate for the addition of a Tornado fan)???

Back