• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What CPU fan should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris_F

I'm building a PC with a 2.4 or 2.6GHz P4. I plan on trying to OC to at least 3.4GHz. I want to get the coldest temps I can get on air.

I was looking a V 7+, are they any good? I've heard they're loud.

I want to know the best of the silent, along with the best of the loud.

Thanks

I thought he said CPU FAN. All well. If you are talking about heatsink then, yeah SLK-900 or Swiftech MX4000. I have a MX4000 and it works awsome.

I wasn't sure if I wanted a smart fan 2. How good are they? I want the best cooling I can get with air.

The reason I wasn't sure about a smart fan is because I was thinking about hooking the cpu fan up to a baybus.

Well.....The SF 2 are the best CPU fan that you can get that balance sound and quality airflow. It all depends on how much noise you will put up with????????????

NcBaller1985 said:
Well.....The SF 2 are the best CPU fan that you can get that balance sound and quality airflow. It all depends on how much noise you will put up with????????????

Wouldn't a Tornado connected to a fan controller be better and the same price, if not cheaper?

I would strongly consider the Zalman CNPS 7000 Cu. It ranks very high on the line up at the first page, but in reality would only differ by a couple of degrees, and certainly provide better performance for the noise level. This shows how strongly it performs.

I think I'm going with the CNPS 7000 Cu.

Another question. Will mounting a case fan above it help it cool more?

^^you mean on the center of the HS or using the zalman bracket the holds a fan above the whole MOBO?

the 7000 comes with a sufficient fan...i'm happy with it

I meant putting a fan on the side of my case, located above (or near) the heatsink and fan. That way outside air is blow down on the heatsinks fan, and then onto the heatsink itself.

Depends on your noise tolerance. If you're willing to go all out just for performance and could care less about sound, the 900u w/ Vantec 84 + airflow would make a wicked combo.

If you want a peaceful working environment than the Zalman heatsink would be best even though we don't know how it compares to the 900U as it wasn't tested under the die simulator.

Yodums

Chris, i'm using mine with 2 intakes and one exhaust (then psu)

i'm getting 42 idle and 60 with dual primes (this is with zalmans paste, it'll be better with AS3)

i do have a tornado one the side, another as an exhaust and a blowhole fan. these are connected to a separate PSU and they'll knock off more Cs but i'm happy without right now

*this is with the Abit ic7 with the temperature probs*

Yodums said:
Depends on your noise tolerance. If you're willing to go all out just for performance and could care less about sound, the 900u w/ Vantec 84 + airflow would make a wicked combo.

If you want a peaceful working environment than the Zalman heatsink would be best even though we don't know how it compares to the 900U as it wasn't tested under the die simulator.

Yodums

It was tested under the die simulator; .18 C/W vs. .15 C/W; not enough of a difference to warrant for the increased noise level, IMHO. Here's Joe C.'s review.

I just got back from Fry's with the Zalman 7000 and some Artic Silver 3.

I'll post my comparison to the Stock intel HSF on my OC'ed 2.4c @3.12ghz in this thread tonight.

Back