• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kt7v BIOS/keyboard issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ebucha

I hate to ask a question like this for my first post, but I really need help. I am working on a computer for a family member and came across a problem. The motherboard is a kt4v and I have read up on all of the know issues. Here are the system specs:
Antec true380 PS (I tried my Antec 400w as well)
Athlon XP 2100+ (retail heatsink, installed correctly)
256 MB Simpletech pc2700 (tried crucial pc2100 also)
Western Digital Caviar 40GB Harddrive (no optical drives)
Gainward Geforce2 mx400 Videocard

The problem occurs when booting. The machine starts up and posts fine, but I can't enter the bios. The keyboard leds flash and I have tried multiple keyboards. The interesting things is that if I can manage to get a CMOS checksum error and a prompt to enter the bios, it works. I can get into the bios and change settings. However, the system is usually unstable in the bios and it rarely saves the changes correctly. My plan was to try to get it to boot from floppy and flash the bios, but I'm afraid to do this while the system is unstable. Can anyone think of a reason for the board to act like this other than a bad bios (or maybe something else physically wrong with the board)? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, I'll get my system specs up as soon as I get this problem figured out. Evan.

Back