• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which to use? (1/2)" or (3/8)"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I mean there is 1/2"OD=3/8"ID or 3/8OD tubing, and there are the respective barbs. What is better, 1/2 or 3/8" WC system tubing?

True 1/2".

If you have 1/2" barbs, go for the 1/2" inside dia. tubing.

That way you have a "True 1/2" sys.

WarriorII said:
True 1/2".

If you have 1/2" barbs, go for the 1/2" inside dia. tubing.

That way you have a "True 1/2" sys.
OK, a TRUE 1/2" system would require 5/8" barbs. 1/2" barbs have an ID of 3/8". 5/8" Barbs have an ID of 1/2". It really wont make a bit of difference which way you go, but if you do decide on 3/8" ID tubing, go with 1/2" barbs for a 'true 3/8" system'.

Thanks for the info nikhsub. I have a 1/2'' OD tubing that's 3/8'' ID, its always confusing seeing what'll fit and what won't, especially since most sites don't publish if its OD or ID.

So is it generally true that all sites that advertise a 1/2'' barb/fitting/etc... takes 1/2 OD and 3/8 ID?

Lord09 said:
Thanks for the info nikhsub. I have a 1/2'' OD tubing that's 3/8'' ID, its always confusing seeing what'll fit and what won't, especially since most sites don't publish if its OD or ID.

So is it generally true that all sites that advertise a 1/2'' barb/fitting/etc... takes 1/2 OD and 3/8 ID?
OK, a lesson in fittings. When sites quote BARB sizes, it means the OD or outside diameter of the barb. So if the OD of the barb is 1/2", the ID can't very well be 1/2". So 1/2" barbs are 3/8" ID so when you put a 1/2" ID tubing over a 1/2" barb, it fits nice but you go from a 1/2" ID tube to a 3/8" ID barb which does cause some restriction. My point was/is that most people run ID tubing to match the OD of the barb. But, you can quite easily run 3/8" ID tubing with 1/2" barbs and you will have a true 3/8" system.

Ahhh, I see very interesting. So I guess you could go either with 1/2 ID tubing with 1/2 barbs with some restriction or 1/2 OD tubing with 3/8 ID and 1/2 barbs for a true 3/8 system? Is that correct?

I have 1/2 OD tubing, so it'd be optimal to order a heatercore with 1/2 barbs instead of 3/8?

Thanks again...

Lord09 said:
Ahhh, I see very interesting. So I guess you could go either with 1/2 ID tubing with 1/2 barbs with some restriction or 1/2 OD tubing with 3/8 ID and 1/2 barbs for a true 3/8 system? Is that correct?

I have 1/2 OD tubing, so it'd be optimal to order a heatercore with 1/2 barbs instead of 3/8?

Thanks again...
Yes, that is the theory. What kind of tubing do you have? IF you have some vinyl that is very tough, it will be hard to get the tubing over the barbs. IF you have tygon or clearflex, it will be easier.

Wow I had no idea. And to think that I've been fighting with 1/2" ID tubing all this time....and for nothing.

The general rules...

Higher flowrates equal better temps.

Larger diameters allow better flow rates.

If you are using waterblocks that accept 3/8 ID hose, I'd recommend you use 1/2" ID fittings everywhere else so the block is the most restrictive componet (which is a desired scenereo.)

If you are using waterblocks that have 1/2 fittings, I'd go with 5/8" fittings everywhere else.

Good old home depot vinyl will fit on fittings the next size up after you soak them in very hot water to soften the hose and help allow it to stretch (and you can spray some windex on the fittings and hose to help slip it on.)

I agree the other hose materials are easier to fit, but vinyl does work fine.

Back