• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPUs cool, motherboard warm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wormwood

Hello.

My CPU temps are great, under 40c, wich is fantastic considering the room temp is 32c and I've got half the fans turned off.

The motherboard also has two additional tempature sensors, remote temp 1 and remote temp 2. Remote Temp 2 is just above ambiant, but remote temp 1 is very hot... 55c.

The motherboard manual fails to mention where this sensor is. Even the FETs are only warm to the touch, I can't figure out where the darn thing can be getting warm.

Should I worry?

I think you've got them backwards then...remote temp 1 is system...2 is CPU

On air cooling, CPUs were about 20c over ambiant, even with tornado like sound. Remote temp 1 was about 10c over, and remote temp 2 was like 2c over ambiant.

On water, CPUIs are 9c and 7c over ambiant, Remote 1 is 25c and remote temp 2 is about 2c over ambiant. Computer is much quieter, but that one temp is kind of scarry.

I'm hoping the temp will go down once the two exhaust fans go back online, but it just seem'd really wierd that it would get so hot. Stupid manual doesn't even give the location of where the sensor is.

I read it, but it doesn't make a lot of sense (pun intended...)

The sensors are built into the motherboard, and being reported by the BIOS. If indeed the manufacture had misrouted sensor lines, wouldn't it be the same for all boards of that type? Would replacing the CPU heatsinks with waterblocks swap the sensor locations? (the remote temps were lower than the CPU temps on air cooling).

I've pretty much ruled out a faulty sensor. It starts off near ambiant and takes about 30 minutes to reach 55c. But I've also been unable to determine where the sensor is located. I'm assuming it's towards the rear of the motherboard, as I believe that tempature is used to control the rear fan (R_FAN1 on the board).

I've got an email into tech support, but they take upto 5 days to respond. Just figured someone here has already gone thru this.

To illustrate, in the BIOS, it reads:

Current CPU0 Temp 41c
Current CPU1 Temp 39c
Current Remote Temp1 55c
Current Remote Temp2 32c
Current CPU0 FAN Speed 0
Current CPU1 FAN Speed 0
Current FAN1 Speed 0
Current FAN2 Speed 1797

The room tempature is about 31c.

The two fans going into the BIX2 are Vantec Thermoflows. They are not ideal for this (hardly any air flow). The temps are being measured without the remaining two Panaflows, case open. There is hardly any air flow going to the back part of the motherboard (until the Panaflows get back online).

But 55c in 30 minutes... It seemed a little excessive for just lack of air flow. If only I had time to fit the Panaflows on tonight, I'd have known for certain. Hopefully I'll have an answer by friday.

Back