• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman7000 or SLK900 with Smart Fan II? REady to buy right now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billstuck

which of these do you think is better cooling performance and loudness.

I have a P4 2.4c OC'ed to 3.12ghz and I may go higher if my temps get better. I'm using the retail Intel HSF now.

Thanks!!

I dunno about the Smart Fan II, but, in terms of performance, SLK would have to be louder. Zalman is close performance-wise and you can barely hear it on highest setting. Since i dunno about Smart Fan II, i dunno how loud slk would get.

What are your temps right now?

My temps are around 42C idle and up to 64C under load. I have the Abit IS7 and from what I hear it reports temps kind of high. 5C to 15C high

I'm planing on getting a Zalman7000. It would be a wise choice.

Look in my thread titled "What CPU fan should I get." There where some great links to stuff on the Zalman7000.

i too am getting zalman after qs in here awhile back and wider research

it is simply the best solution

Just got back from Fry's with a Zalman7000 and some Artic Silver 3 paste. I'll post my temp drops tonight if anyone is interested.

The SLK900 may have an edge in performance, but I'm not putting one of those screamer fans on there. My case is to loud allready.

Thanks for the help

I would vote for SLK900 and the smartfan II. I personally have the sk7 because it was cheap, but if I had the money I would get the slk900. The smartfan II is pretty quite even at the highest speed and has a nice high CFM between 74-80 for the noise.

OMG, i cant belive u made the choice from a slk-900 and a SF2 over a Zalman, let me put this in very very simple terms...

as air cooling go you cannot and possibly will not get anything better then a thermalright slk... and a SF2 is a very good choice, it comes with ajustable fan speed which means u can either go quiet or performance, and i'm betting that the SF2 and a slk-900 with the same noise lvl will out performe any zalman anyday...

anyway u made the choice should of waited for more input before making it, but i guess a mistake made is a lesson learnt :)

arnoldma said:
OMG, i cant belive u made the choice from a slk-900 and a SF2 over a Zalman, let me put this in very very simple terms...

as air cooling go you cannot and possibly will not get anything better then a thermalright slk... and a SF2 is a very good choice, it comes with ajustable fan speed which means u can either go quiet or performance, and i'm betting that the SF2 and a slk-900 with the same noise lvl will out performe any zalman anyday...

anyway u made the choice should of waited for more input before making it, but i guess a mistake made is a lesson learnt :)

I read plenty of reviews and archived threads in addition to this one and it seems the Zalam is only outperformed by a small margin, plus it is surely quieter and significantly cheaper.

Plus I don't have a crazy overclock and am running all my components on default voltages. It'll be aight

quieter it might be, althought at the same noise lvl with a SF2 +slk, i truly doubt it, but cheaper? i don't know about US or where ever you are but it's certainly not in the UK, if you are talking about that zalma 7000 still that is?

i've read many reviews before and im sure i've seen reviewers say something along the lines of: "it's a great and quiet heatsink if you are not planing to overclock, but it is in no way a thermalright slk..." and nor will it ever be.

arnoldma said:
quieter it might be, althought at the same noise lvl with a SF2 +slk, i truly doubt it, but cheaper? i don't know about US or where ever you are but it's certainly not in the UK, if you are talking about that zalma 7000 still that is?

i've read many reviews before and im sure i've seen reviewers say something along the lines of: "it's a great and quiet heatsink if you are not planing to overclock, but it is in no way a thermalright slk..." and nor will it ever be.

Cheaper yes

I've never seen anywhere anything saying the Zalman is not suitable for overclocking.

sk7...$24...case closed
He's looking for a heatsink for an Intel rig... SK7 is AMD only.

anyway u made the choice should of waited for more input before making it, but i guess a mistake made is a lesson learnt

You probably haven't read much. On the die simulator, BillA tested the Zalman to be only .03 C/W worse than the SLK900. This small of a difference isn't going to change an overclock. But the significantly lower noise level of the Zalman makes it a better option. Thermalrght is not the only good manufacturer of heatsinks.

Gautam said:
You probably haven't read much. On the die simulator, BillA tested the Zalman to be only .03 C/W worse than the SLK900. This small of a difference isn't going to change an overclock. But the significantly lower noise level of the Zalman makes it a better option. Thermalrght is not the only good manufacturer of heatsinks.

i did not say thermalright was the only good manufacturer of heatsinks, i simply said they made BETTER heatsinks then anyone else, and i still hold to that, weather how much better depends on many things. but i'm gonna leave this as it is as he already made the choice :D

oh, by the way, maybe YOU havn't read enough, last time i checked there r more reviewers then BillA?

joe C. writes the reviews, btw. I was using the pure data from the tests; .15 C/W vs .18 C/W. I'd trust that those results aren't faked, especially with all the troubles that are taken to keep the die simulator's integrity. Simply saying that Thermalright makes the best heatsinks is too gross of a generalization. Many others are good choices, sometimes better.

im not / didnt saying they are fake, read my post again if u dont belive me... again u r putting words in my mouth and saying what u think...

but i still think thermalright slk series has been damn good and i belvie they r still the best set of heatsinks on the market.

Back