• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will my amd system blow up in a year lol

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David101

Registered
hsf question and will my amd system blow up in a year lol

helo,
im just about ready to buy my system but my freidn says he could get stuff for cheap. so i told him what i wanted to get and he tells me to get a celeron cause my amd system will crash in about a year. he also tells me amd's have a 25% failure rate. where is he gettign this form lol

anyways can any1 recomand a 30-40$ (canadain) volcano, casue at my shop they have a fewr thermaltake volcanos in that price range but i dunno which one is best. im gonna go do some research now too, but some of ur opinions would help immensely aswell.

hsf at my local store
(scroll atthe bottom)

im currently thinking about the volcano 7+, any ideas?

thanks,

David.

ps-what is an ideal temp for the athlon xp'x (1800-2200

Last edited:
A Volcano 7+ would be the best choice if you must get a volcano. If not, look into a Thermalright SK6+ or SK7. Yeah your friend really isn't worth listening to.

I hate when people make up percentages off of the top of their heads...I bet if you try to straighten your friend out he wouldn't listen to you either....a celeron fanboi? that's new to me! =)

^^crazy stuff.

anyway, another vote for the sk-7 here. It's the best heatsink you can get for your money and it'll knock spots off the volcano's.

the idle temps for any cpu doesnt matter at all. ITs the load temp that matters, and as long as you try to keep it below 55c, you'll be fine:)

25 % failure rate? Even something like "Goofy Overclockers Community" would not screw-up AMD's with that rate, are you sure he is your friend sounds more like a rip-off.
Go AMD and sk-7 you'll not regret it. :)

lol, its actually my freind's borhter-but still ya i thoghut that it was a rip off too.

i might get an sk-7 then if they do special orders.

is it worth buying another heatsink even if it already comes iwth a stock? will it be that much better? thanks.

btw- do the volcano 7+ 11 and sk-7 come w/ a fan too?

I wasted 28$ plus shipping on a TT Volcano9 coolmod - if I had read the forums I would have gone straight for Thermalright - at least I was able to salvage the smartfan and the "coolmod" led panel :)

The volcano temps just plain sucked compared to my SLK-800a.

dont even get me started on thoise lol. two friends of mine both had their sfII's fail on them without warning. one actually managed to melt right through the plastic coating on one of the fan wires and completly fry the speed controller

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

The consensus here is towards an SK7 for a very good reason. If you'll click on the "Click Here for Heatsink and Watercooling Performance Rankings" link on the main www.overclockers.com site, you'll find a comparative listing of the cooling ability of the various heatsinks. SK7 is close to (but not at) the top of the air-cooled heatsinks. However, you'll find that at www.svc.com , you can find the SK7 for $20, whereas the SLK-800s and SLK-900 will cost you more than $35. ($34 for the SLK800a, $37 for the SLK800u, and $45 for the SLK900u.) This means that the SK7 is a very good value for the money, and the $15.00 difference would only buy you a few degrees of improved thermal performance.

Perhaps what your friend was referring to was that AMD's can be a bit more difficult to deal with than Celerons, especially w.r.t. chipped cores, seating the heatsink wrong and having them burn up, etc.? Perhaps so, although he's certainly making up a grandiose statistic. At the end of the day, if you exercise proper caution, do your research, and double-check everything, particularly when you're mounting your HSF, you shouldn't have any greater rate of problems with an AMD CPU than you would with an Intel CPU. Do note, however, that they will require a bit more care than with an Intel CPU, and in the past (although not in the present), VIA chipset were much more tempermental than Intel chipsets. The current situation isn't so bad, though.

No matter what you choose, I'm sure you'll find plenty of willing helpers here at the forums to coach you through the process. Good luck! :) -- Paul

Imacrzyprsn said:
I hate when people make up percentages off of the top of their heads...I bet if you try to straighten your friend out he wouldn't listen to you either....a celeron fanboi? that's new to me! =)

What's wrong with Celerons? Why do you guys always pick on me? :cry:

Seriously though, the Volcano 7+, is the best heatsink on that list. If you can, I'd get something else. Like some of the heatsinks listed earlier.

BTW guys, don't forget he's working in Canadian dollars.

Agreed that Celerons can be good some applications. ;)

Sorry about the Canadian dollars there -- not sure what the conversion rates are at the moment, or whether svc is appropriate to this example. :( -- Paul

The rankings are here. Yes, the SK7 would be a better choice, but as you can see, the Volcano 7+ does certainly hold its own. Either one should serve you quite well.

Every Thermaltake fan I have ever had died on me EXCEPT the Volcano 7+. And it was the only one I bought used. I used it for 6 mths, sold it to a friend, and now 8 mths later its still running perfect. Its a great HS/F and looks great too. As good as it was, I agree with everyone else. If you can get a Thermalright HS, do it. Its worth the extra cost to do it right the first time.
My slk-800 w/50cfm sunon lowered my temps 5c versus the 7+ w/fan on high setting on the exact same setup. And its quieter too. Not to mention that the 7+ uses a 70mm fan and not many companies make 70mm fans. If it dies, your pretty much SOL. :p

Back