• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remounted block, now no boot.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

OK, it was my second time mounting my block w/ no springs. Looking back I probably tightend it down abit too much. So I boot up but it's stops booting right away (my mobo's LEDs tell me there's a problem w/ the CPU). I start thinking I crushed the core. So I take my tbird out, look at it, nothing seems wrong, put it in another computer, and IT WORKS FINE! So I was happy about that, but I don't know what's wrong w/ my mobo. Could I have damaged the socket? Maybe tightening my block down too much bent the PCB and something broke? Or something totally stange keeps it from working. I'm not going to miss my old mobo at all and I'll have a new NF7-S REV2.0 thursday! But I would like to know what broke on my mobo and how? Any ideas or thoughts?

Once the screws started to get a little snug on the block, I probably went another 3/4 of a turn... too much or no?

Yes, many people do this. I HAD to in order to bend my tubing from my Y fitting to my pump. If I used springs, the tubing would keep the block from sitting flat. Who needs springs anyways? :)

If the tubing was making the block shift u dont have them tightened enuff.

But when mounting without springs u have to have almost perfect balance or ur block will not sit properly. Thats prolly what was happening.

Even when I had the springs tightened down as far as they could go w/ out being fully compressed the tubing would still deflect the bottom springs and pull the top springs.

And when I was mounted springless how could the block not be sitting right when each corner of the block is tighted down nicely?

Maybe your right though, I just don't see it.

broken-mobo.jpg

Well you can see the problem right above the socket mounting hole. "It" came undone on the right side as you can see. I guess I can try to re-attach it. But how would I do that exactly? That "thingy" is bairly over .125".

Use a "Circuitworks" cuit-trace repair ink pen.

I snapped a transistor off my Ti4600 once that was barely 1mmx2mm in size. A dab of the circuit trace ink (which is also a glue when it dries) onto each of the micro-scopic solder points, and then put the transistor back in place with a magnifying glass and a pair of needle-nose tweezers. Put in in place, pushed it down, and let dry for 24 hours.

Stuck the card back in, and it was fine.

Much safer than playing around with soldering irons near so many components.

Cathar said:
Use a "Circuitworks" cuit-trace repair ink pen.

I snapped a transistor off my Ti4600 once that was barely 1mmx2mm in size. A dab of the circuit trace ink (which is also a glue when it dries) onto each of the micro-scopic solder points, and then put the transistor back in place with a magnifying glass and a pair of needle-nose tweezers. Put in in place, pushed it down, and let dry for 24 hours.

Stuck the card back in, and it was fine.

Much safer than playing around with soldering irons near so many components.

I agree 100%. The trace repair ink is the only way to go for micro work unless your a master with a soldering iron.

Back