• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clean those heatsinks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColtIce

Disabled
well summer is here and it's as warm as ever.i have a/c but i still noticed my cpu temps weren't that great 42-43 idle 47-50 full load.now this is with a volcano 6cu on 1700 pally@1600(11x145).so today i decide to clean my hsf.WOW!now I'm at 36 idle not sure of load yet but still this is a 6-7 degree drop and my antec reference has NOT EVEN setup yet!well anyway i just wanted to share this with you all and remind everyone to clean those heatsinks.

let me say that it is ESSENTIAL to clean off and slk-xxx or sk-x. these things collect dust like crazy and it will drop temps quite significantly.

i didn't have any compressed air. i just took it off the mobo took the fan off and used a butter knife and my lungs.lol at myself i know this sounds ghetto but it worked.my rig is ghetto fabulous anyway

I know this all too well, I fix computers for people in my town... and you would be surprised how many people have problems from HSF's getting clogged up with dust. While your at it, clean out your AC filter.... they work much better when they are clean as well!

I use an all purpose tire air pump for the task - 125 psi and take the nozzle off and I blast away. Dust Is The Enemy!

It would probably best to physically remove the HS and work on outside of the case, regardless of the PSI. Doing this kind of work on a mounted heatsink is only asking for trouble.

(And thanks for the cleaning reminder, BTW. ;) ) -- Paul

I use a 90 PSI air compressor, and it doesn't damage the components. You could use your 165, however I wouldn't get any closer than a foot to any one thing just to be on the safe side.

You'll probably have to splurge for some canned air for those tight spaces.

the only thing you have to watch out for in air compressors is moisture. I clean mine with water. I just put it under the faucet and wash away. While im at it, i always grab a piece of 600 grain paper and lap it again.

Actually, canned air works fairly well. It won't get everything, but it does a fairly good job, considering. At some point, though, you'll need to actually soak 'n' scrub to get everything off. -- Paul

Yes I always use canned air. It's kinda expensive. if you need to clean out your whole case, you'll need more than one! eheh

For that, I like a combination of canned air and a vaccuum cleaner. Hold the vacuum cleaner hose attachment at a distance away from the case to suck away the dust that's blown up by the canned air. Again, I wouldn't get the vaccuum TOO close to the case. ;) -- Paul

I was thinking about doing this because I can see lots of dust in my heatsink but I was wondering if I can just take off the fan and unclip the heatsink and clean it then put it all back together again or would I need to get some thermal grease to apply when I put it all back?

You'll definitely want to reapply your thermal grease, too. Actually, it's a good opportunity to really clean up the base of the h.s. and processor, too. (I would use isopropyl alcohol for those.)

-- Paul

Back