• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leaky caps ; but runs great !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeXenViRii

Going in and changing the Stock heatsink on my server comp i noticed that 3 of the capacitors are leaking ... 2 slightly pushed out and a little black stuff on the top and one really bad off the top . The mobo is a MSI MS-6340 , and runs awesome and stable ... should i just let it go ? What problems would i see if they affect the computer ? lockups & reboots ?

caps.txt

I did see some of those for sale in the refurb section of excaliberpc for really cheap. Check there, they might do it or you could at least pick a new one up.

I'd just replace the caps with better rated/quality ones. They're not difficult, and any electronics hobbyist with a good grounded soldering iron could do it. They're also cheap to buy...in industrial applications, we buy them by the kilo.

The specs/part no. should be the text on the side of the capacitor. Desolder them and go buy the correct ones or higher quality equivalent ones. If you dare, or have a friend who really know electronics, uprate the capacitors for better stability. This can very well have an effect on the level of over-clocking you may be able to achieve on this board. At worst, you have a slightly more surge/spike resistant setup.

I'll admit, I don't really know much about mobo designs, but I do know electronics, and better capacitors improves your voltage stability. Mobos from Taiwan (as they all are now) use minimal specification components to lower prices i.e. as low a specification as possible.

I would also get it done as fast as possible before the fluid from the capacitors make a mess of your mobo...that is, if you want it to run a couple more years.

Back