• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump Wiring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malph

Registered
I already have my pump wiring tied into the incoming AC power inside the power supply so my pump will always be on as long as power is connected to the pc and the p.s. switch is on.
My question is, should I just let the pump run continuosly, or use a relay to shut the pump off when the pc is powered off?
I see problems both ways:
-if always on, leak may go unnoticed and the pump is in use when not required.
-if shutting off, pump gets cycled on/off on all reboots etc.

Any thoughts?

how often do you shut your computer off? i plan to have a switch for the pump, so i can turn in on and off whenever i want to. but my computer is almost aways on. its only been off 3 times this year. twice for new cpus, and once when i went skiing for a week.

if you leave your computer on most of the time, id say leave it how it is. if you plan to have it off for an extended period of time, just unplug the psu. if you shut your computer off when your not using it, then i would say get a relay for it. i dont think just pressing the reset button, or usint restart in windows, will cause the pump to cycle off, because the psu doesnt actualy shut off at those times.

Thanks for the response.

Normally with my air cooled unit (Volcano 7) I would shut down at night because of the noise.
I will have to wait and see how loud this is going to be when I'm finished to decide.
But what I would still like to know is if these pumps (MCP 300) are better left always on or if turning them on/off every day is o.k.

I'm thinking the answer is that it really doesn't matter.

Malph

Back