• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Chilling need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warshed

Registered
ok I am just about to make the leap into water cooling my PC and the last part of the puzzle is water chilling. What do you all use for water chilling (not talking radiators)? I was thinking about something that would send the water from the reservior into a compressor and then threw some coiled copper tubing that would keep the water cold. I might be thinking of this wrong, are there water compressors? Is this feasable? Do the comperssors keep up with the pumps? Do any of you know where I can buy something specifically made for water chilling for long periods of time?

for a water chiller, you need something like a refrigerator. you dont run water through a compressor, then through copper tubes. what is usually done with a chiller, is a reservoir is filled with a coolant (like distilled water and antifreeze). then the evaporator (the part of a fridge that gets cold, sometimes copper coils are used, thats probably what you were thinking) is put into the coolant in order to chill the water. the compressor doesnt run water. it has some sort of refrigerant in it. older fridges often used one called r12. today, most use r134a (i think). if you want a more detailed description of how compressors and the evaporator and stuff works, use the search button and look for something like "how phase change works." hope that helps some.

i am actually working on getting parts for my own chiller. i am using a fridge with a reservoir inside it. hopefully it will be worth the work.

Just sticking a reservoir in a fridge I heard doesn't work because the fridge can't cool the water fast enough to disappait the heat getting thrown into it. It has something to do with the surface area of the reservoir not being large enough. So in other words I was thinking of passing water into copper coils contained inside the fridgerator so that the water is exposed to more surface area. I don't know though, I think that a reservoir with a more surface area might work as well, but I have to admit it would look funky.

you need to have the evaporator (part that gets cold) submerged in the water. coils WILL NOT WORK in todays procs with all their heat output. On many minifridges, the evaporator is easy to move.

Back