• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stretching 3/8'' tubing to fit 1/2'' barb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rlx220

Registered
Hey guys i just e-mailed Bruce over at cooltechnica today and aked if they would be making the maze4 gpu waterblock w/ 3/8'' barbs and he replied, "No, only with 1/2"OD barbs. And the reason is simple, you can insert premium quality 3/8"ID tubing (such as Clear Flex 60) easily over 1/2"OD barbs." I'm goin to be using tygon tubing. Do you think thats a good idea or not?

You know what. This stretching business is sereverely overrated.

I built my reservoir with 1/2 barbs, and when I went to stretch my 3/8" clearflex over it, low and behold I had a ***** of a time doing it. Tried alcohol, tried heating it up too. Then it really wouldn't even go on all the way.

I say just base your system around 1 fitting size as much as possible, and buy the correct size hose. I Expected this stuff to slide over pretty easy, but I had to use physical force to get it on.
I took so much force in fact I ruined my sealant job - which was perfectly fine int he first place.

I ended up ripping 3/8 barbs out of my old heater core and recycling them. Much better solution

If you really gotta have something that isn't sized for your system, I'd say get the correct size tubing and go for reducers.

Neco said:
You know what. This stretching business is sereverely overrated.

I built my reservoir with 1/2 barbs, and when I went to stretch my 3/8" clearflex over it, low and behold I had a ***** of a time doing it. Tried alcohol, tried heating it up too. Then it really wouldn't even go on all the way.

I say just base your system around 1 fitting size as much as possible, and buy the correct size hose. I Expected this stuff to slide over pretty easy, but I had to use physical force to get it on.
I took so much force in fact I ruined my sealant job - which was perfectly fine int he first place.

I ended up ripping 3/8 barbs out of my old heater core and recycling them. Much better solution

If you really gotta have something that isn't sized for your system, I'd say get the correct size tubing and go for reducers.
Hmm, I have fit my thickwall 1/2" ID Tygon over 3/4" and 5/8" OD barbs without much trouble. It takes some elbow grease, but very doable.

thorilan said:
personaly i would rather it took some force for a snug fit just to ease my fears of leakage
Thats what hose clamps are for, you should ALWAYS use them!

Yea but it was the force I had to use which caused my leaks in the first place.. So I am skeptical.. I am not about to fork over a lot of cash to try out tygon however.. But clearflex + hose clamps is good enough for me

I was just getting my entire system up for a few test days...I have cheap 1/2" tubing from Home Depot throughout the systme until I get to my case (it's an external setup)...then I go to 3/8" (got wrong size quick disconnects) ... I had to stretch the 3/8" over a couple barbs on the quick disconnects and on my water block...I just put the 3/8" stuff in boiling water for a few minutes and put some dish soap on the barbs...worked fine.

Screw paying by the foot for tubing...I got 10' for $2.50 and it's just as flexible as expensive stuff after it's sat out in the sun all day.

Back