• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU or CPU, GPU, and NB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CoolRunnings

Registered
I'm putting together my first watercooled system pretty soon here. I'll be using an '86 Chevette heatercore, a Cascade waterblock, and an Eheim 1250 with 1/2" (1/8" wall) Clearflex 60 tubing. I'm debating whether or not to cool the GPU and Northbridge as well. My main goal here is to keep the machine quiet and cool (under 50c loaded) while allowing me to overclock my Athlon XP 1700 to 2.4ghz. Anyone here have any suggestions?

I wouldn't bother with the northbridge, but cooling your GPU could be beneficial. 2.4ghz shouldn't be a problem at all.

If you wanted to go above 2.4 then I'd suggest the northbridge so you can up the chipset voltages but if not then don't worry about it.

i've got the same set-up as you, or should i say getting the same set-up as you. all i got left to get now is a d-tek heater-core, got everything else sitting here :D

i'm personally going just for the CPU for now... because i dont think it's worth the money unless u r going to overclock the gfx card ALOT or unless u r doing VDD mods. 2.4ghz onur set-up will be easy, 2.6 is well within reach :D hopefuly, for my sakes :p :cool: :)

For 2400mhz you don't necessarily have to watercool the NB. Depends on what your pushing your fsb to. My current stats in my sig run at 48-50c load on these hot summer days. An slk-800 w/ tornado is very close if not on par to standard watercooling. But your setup should be able to take on a bigger heat load and much more quieter and soothing ;). Gpu wc is also nice if want to eek out every mhz you can out of your vid card. But again it's all up to what you want. BTW is "@ 2700" in your sig 2700mhz? I'm guessing not since you're getting watercooling to hit 2.4 ...

LOL! Naw, I was just running stock 2700 speeds (13x166). I've since gone to 200x10 since I can do that @ stock voltages and keep the heat down. I'm doing a pretty steady 42c on the processor and 32c ambient and that's at idle. It's about 48c under load. That's with a 39cfm Thermaltake fan on the SLK-800U and it's with the 1.7 bios for the Abit (which boots temps about 5c from what they were reading on the 1.4 and 1.6 BIOSes). Seems pretty accurate to me...

*goes and changes sig to refer to current OC*

id suggest the NB too. mine gets blazin hot, but its got a voltmod. if you plan on fsb above 220, you should really consider watercoolin that nb

To be honest, I pretty much intend to run 12x200 on that rig. I might try to push the fsb a bit higher, but I don't believe the chip liked it, cause on air I couldn't go beyond 205mhz FSB and still pass Prime95. Course, I do have that 512mb of Corsair XMS 3500 and it's not low-latency stuff... Hmm I wonder if that might be holding me back cause it's dual-sided. Oh well, too late now. All I'm missing is the motherboard and that system's set.

If your not gonna push the crap out of it, I wouldnt bother with a NB block. Otherwize it could be useful.

Jon

Back