• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-900 or sk-7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CVW

Registered
which would you pick and please give a reason. like which one cools better for price and stuff and which is better under pressure(overclocked) thx.

The only quality in the SLK900U that would steer me towards it is its bolt-down base, which would be handy if you planned to move the computer a lot. (e.g., to LAN parties.) Otherwise, at only .03 C/W difference in Joe's ratings, the SK7 would give the best cooling for the dollar, especially as you can mount 80mm fans on it and get quiet cooling.

-- Paul

Yes, the bolt down can be quite benefical. You may want to consider the SLK800U in that case. The SK7 is better for your money, though. People have reached the 2.5ghz mark with it.

yes i do go to lans not everyday but maybe 3-4 times a month so i shoudl get the 900?

The SLK-800u would definitely be a good compromise between the extra security and cost. It's performance is only .01C/W off from the 900u, and it would save you several dollars.

Now, I can say that I use an SK7 for a computer that I take on airplanes and long car trips, and I've never had a problem with it. Then again, LAN's are probably a little rougher than that. ;) -- Paul

SK-7 if its money on your mind, it works well for the price. I like the 900u and 800u for the bolt down base also but you can't beat

ohh come on those temps have more to do with a A/C duct mod then the Sk7. I too have an Sk7 and it performs well, but not that well.

slk-900, big = good :D just make sure that it will fit on your motherboard. what board you planning on putting it on?

Make sure your motherboard has the holes in it that allow the bolts to connect directly to the case. Not every motherboard has those. If your motherboard doesn't, I would reccomend getting the SK-7 because its a whole lot cheaper and only slightly worse in performance. Even if your motherboard does have the holes, you still may want to consider getting an SK-7. The SK-7 engages all 6 plastic nubs, so there isn't a very good chance that it will break all 6 and fall off, even if you move the case fairly frequently.

Agreed. Again, even with mine that I take on trips, I haven't had a problem, due to the fact that it engages the 6 lugs quite securely.

I would view timmyquest's temps more like this: a lapped SK7 with Tornado attains case temp + 4C at idle, case temp + 11C at full load, which is pretty good. That means more than the absolute value of the temps (which are due to the AC mod that he implemented quite well.)

BTW, on an unlapped SK7 with a Panaflo HI, I'm getting case temp + 10C or 11C at full load on my computer. ;) Then again, all these temp comparisons are kinda' silly, since onboard measurements aren't known to be all that great ... -- Paul

ive got an abit kd7-raid so i see only 1 hole near the heatsink and ive got a heatsink on there that uses the 6 lugs and ive been to plenty of lans with no problems.

Ah, thanks for reporting back. Without the 4 holes, it looks like the SK7 will be your choice, then. ;) -- Paul

CVW said:
yes i do go to lans not everyday but maybe 3-4 times a month so i shoudl get the 900?
I lan as well. We usually try to host a lanparty about 4-5 times a month (We're usually doing 2 per week right now though :)) and I have the slk900u. It's a nice HS. I'm running 92mm Tornado on it and my chip stays uber cool! Be careful though. On my A7N8X mobo it pushes a capacitor to the side a little bit and I had to bend one of the fins so that it wasn't pressed up against my North Bridge HS

Wow, nice link there. That's the cheapest I've seen the SK7, including sales at SVC. Have you posted this in cyber deals? -- Paul

*edit* Hmm, but Airborne Express? Might still be more expensive total ... */edit*

Back