• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water block pressure on cpu effect oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you mean water pressure or the pressure being applied by the tubes affecting the seat to the block?

The_Jizzler said:
you mean water pressure or the pressure being applied by the tubes affecting the seat to the block?

I think he meant the pressure being applied by the tubes.

Maybe this pressure is lifting one side of the waterblock and makes good contact with CPU impossible. This would result in overheating and beeps.

well no its making contact

its making good contact because im at 32-36 c which is normal for me, but i dont know if it is putting more pressure on one side of the cpu, could that cause my cpu to shut down by itself when i oc...?

Too much pressure = cracked CPU core = bad!
Too little pressure = not good contact = bad cooling

What you want is as much pressure as possible, but not too much to crush your CPU.

If your afraid of crushing your CPU, look into purchasing and installing a shim:

shim.jpg

Re: errr

grindee said:
dont those effect temps? i hear they are bad

If i'm not mistaken, there are copper shims and non-conductive shims.
You should get a non-conductive one, they will not transfer heat.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

You want as much pressure as possible applied evenly on the core, so that the core won't crack.

Back