• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus p4c vocal post message, "cpu test failed"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjc_75

Hi folks,

Im in a bit of a panic 8)

I had just put in a brand new PSU(OKIA 480ATX) into my computer when my ASUS probe starts popping up after about half an hour of running fine. It was showing that the 3.3V was down around 2.8v, 30sec. later my 12v starts dropping and the computer shuts down. I only have a cpu fan,2 case fans, video card(PCI), 1 HDD, 1 CDRW plugged in. Temps are fine also.

I immediately put my old PSU in (DR-A300ATX) and reboot. I start getting the voice messages...and it wont even get to the BIOS screen. They are very hard to make out but I caught "VGA", I pop in my old GeForce2 and reboot.

This time there is only 1 message but it is really hard to understand. I get booted up just fine and everything seems normal. I figured I had better reboot and try to listen to the error message. I turn the volume just about as high as it will go and im positive I hear " CPU test failed".

I have run SETI a little bit since then, SiSandra and all seem to be reporting the cpu fine (3.0 GHZ 800 FSB P4). What could be causing the error message?

To make a long story short:
1) my video card is dead
2) I have a cpu error message

I really dont know where to go from here, any suggestions (besides the vendor getting an earful)?

Thanks,
C

My system is kind of "patched" together right now as parts come in, but as it stands right now:

P4 3.0Ghz edit: running at the asus 5% overclock for ~3 weeks perfectly stable)
ASUS p4c 800 deluxe
256 Mb pc2100 DDR RAM
GeForce4 Mx 440
Volcano 9/AS III on cpu

While this might sound stupid. . try clearing the CMOS. . . . even go as far as removing the CMOS battery and reset the mo board. This MAY reset the error codes and clear the audible warnings. Secondly, just a note: the failing of the first power supply MAY have damaged something. I hope this isnt the case but I'll offer this simple suggestion and see if it helps. Sure it may sound 'obvious' but you never know. OOHHH and just to add another thought. there may be a BIOS setting that turns off the CPU warning. This warning may be a result of over clocking. Some BIOS(will warn you if you try to run the CPU out of spces)will allow you to turn it off. If youre at stock FSB and voltages obviosuly that last part is not of any use. but here is my 2 cents

Back