• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speedfan readings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

I already posted about this but noone replied sooooooo, Does anyone know what the temp readings in speedfan mean? Like which sensor usually means what. I have it running on an Asus A7V133-C rev. 1.05. The most confusing part is that 2 sensors seem to be at 144°C,:eh?: it cant be true as I left the thing running full load last night and nothing exploded. The other thing is that Asus probe constantly reads higher by about 10°C. Quite strange, but I heard that spedfan reads emps frm the bios which I would have hought to be a lo more accurate. Thanks in advance for any replies.

The temp probe is only sending one temperature value at a time, so reading from the BIOS shouldn't make any difference.

Sometimes Speedfan finds erroneous senors. They don't mean anything, so you could just disable them. Typically, you'll have 3 temp sensors in your computer: 1 for CPU, 1 for the motherboard (ambient), and 1 for the hard-drive. Usually the hard drive sensor starts with HD and is followed by a number (Ex. HD0). The CPU temp is almost always higher than the motherboard temp, so it shouldn't be hard to figure out which temp is which.

Thanks Im glad hat you are sure some are useless, but the thing hat worries me is there are 2 readings that COULD be my CPU, one is 46°C nd one is 76°C. Also the HD is at 46 which seems kind of high to me. Is there no way o find out which are genuine readings?

Well, for starters, compare the value of the cpu in the bios to the speedfan and disable the other. Doesnt your motherboard come with the Asus Hardware monitoring? I have an nforce2 and speedfan detects 10 temps!!!, some which are closely paired, so I just used the Soltek HW monitoring.

yeh it came with Asus probe but that is meant to be around 10C high. Also when I compare the temp in spedfan to the bios they are about the same, like in the high 40s.The thing I was worried about was the sensor that speedfan said was at 76C. I think it meant my NB but I dont see that getting that hot and not dying.
My Dad does thermal analysis as his job so he is going to help set up a proper thermocouple arrangement inside the heatsink so I will hopefully find out how innacurate the motherboard sensor realy is. i have a bad feeling drilling a hole in the sink is going to mess up the heat transfer though. have to find out the hard way I guess.

Bigdogbmx said:
My Dad does thermal analysis as his job so he is going to help set up a proper thermocouple arrangement inside the heatsink so I will hopefully find out how innacurate the motherboard sensor realy is. i have a bad feeling drilling a hole in the sink is going to mess up the heat transfer though. have to find out the hard way I guess.

Joe used to do that when he tested heatsinks. He doesn't mention it anymore in his heatsink reviews, so he either stopped doing it or he got too lazy to mention it. Here's an example one (the Volcano 6Cu+):

I prepared the Volcano by boring a hole completely through the base so I could epoxy a thermocouple above the CPU. The thermocouple is attached to an Omega HH23 Digital Thermometer. Ambient temps were measured with a thermocouple placed about 1 inch from the fan's intake. I used Prime 95 to stress the CPU on an Iwill BD133 (MBM temps are on-die) and Abit KT7.

Since Joe bores a hole it when he tests heatsinks, I'm confident that you can bore a hole without affecting the heatsink's performance.

Glad that it doesnt actually chnage the effectiveness of the sink. i think I might wait ill I have a heatsink that I know is good enough to keep for a while before I start something long winded like this though. No point in making something monitor you temps just to find out it doesnt keep them low enough.

Back