• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are boot times so long on my a7n8x deluxe??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zel1

Registered
Does anyone else have this problem. Im running windows xp home edition. It seems like it takes forever to boot. I have a barton 2500 and 2-512 pc2700 kingston ram. Any suggestions.

More details needed. Is this a newly built system? Did you do a fresh install of XP?

Rich

It is a new system with a fresh boot.

Win xp home
2-512meg Kingston 2700
30gig wd hd
RADEON 9700P
Barton 2500

I don't have a positve solution, but would like to add that I built my brother almost the exact sytem I have in my sig, only diff is a 380 PSU instead of 430 and he has a combo CDRW/DVD drive and only one HD. He has this exact same problem of superlong boots, are you like getting to the desktop and taking another minute to get windows properly loaded?

I would just share some of my trouble shooting with you that didn't work so maybe you don't bang your head to death. Tried onboard sound and separate sound card, multiple OS reinstalls, different video card as well as multiple drivers, single stick of ram in multiple slots and tested both sticks with memtest, Asus and nVidia NF2 drivers, fiddled with various settings in BIOS but not power and suspend settings.

His computer didn't experience this problem after I first built it. I came to the belief it happened when he went from XP Home to Pro and that it is some kind of networking issue in windows that may or may not include his DSL modem, but at that point we didn't want to do another reinstall back to Home to find out. You may try shutting down your built in NIC's and see if that helps. Matter of fact I'm gonna recommend him to try that himself. We both have used the nVidia from day one, 3Com is disabled. Try all the combinations with the NIC's, one on/off, both on/off. Good luck!

also if u go to start-run- type in msconfig and then under services sort them by name and find Workstation in there and disable that and reboot.

tell me if it helps?

Did you defrag while installing everything? I usually install in this order:

1. OS
2. OS updates (Service Packs, etc)
3. Chipset drivers
4. VGA drivers
5. Everything else

And between each step, I defrag. 2K Pro boots in about a minute for me doing this.

~THT

I had a similar problem for the longest time. It turned out that Quicktime was loading two things up in the background even though they they did not appear in the start up folder. I disabled those two items and now it boots up in 30 seconds and is usable immediately. My motherboard is cheap PC Chips M830LMR (which will be yanked out this week).

Oh wait, make SURE all your ide devices are jumpered correctly.

Also, make sure l1 and l2 cache are enabled in bios. Disabling those can increase loading times by like, a factor of 4 or even more.

Can somone tell me how long is a long boot. on mine the window xp screen bar has to go accros 7 times before in windows i have A7n8x 2000+ 256mb 40gig 7500rpm hdd

On a modern machine with reasonably capable hardware, I would GUESSTIMATE that anything over 90 - 120 seconds from power on to useable desktop is a 'long boot'.

Possible reasons are, lots of stuff loading (firewall, mbm, samurize, etc) or some conflict with the OS or hardware that takes time to sort out before the loading process can continue.

You can't do much with the software-loading problem, other than disable startup of programs.

That would've made my old PC before this one in the long boot category. It really sucked. Love my new one. I can boot now in around 20 seconds, I believe. One tool that I've heard is good and have tried it is Bootvis which you can get at Microsoft downloads. I'd say probably 3 outta 5 times I've used it I've noticed a decent improvement on my boot times.

Back